Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Not Working After Verizon Reset

• Please log in to reply

dclary

dclary

• Pip
  • 4 posts
REF: Desktop computer running Windows XP | Home Edition | SP 3
NETWORK: Westell 2200 modem and Linksys Router (model BEFW11S4 version 4)

I hope I am posting this in the correct place, if not please point me in the right direction. We had a pretty bad storm night before last that knocked the electric out for 2 hours, when it came back on, I could not connect to the Internet even though the modem and router said that I was. I called Verizon who told me that lightning caused the modem and the router to reset themselves to factory settings.

They had me disconnect the router and then had me enter http://192.168.1.1 at this time, they took control of my computer and ran ping tests and then they told me to type in http://192.168.3.1. and then they had me hook the router back up and they ran a few more tests and told me that it was okay now.

I haven't had any problem with my desktop, however, my laptop nor my Vonage phone device was working. I tried to access the Linksys Router in order to re-add all of my previous settings. I used to access the router by typing in http://192.168.1.1, however now, it keeps taking me into the setup screen for the Westell Modem, which I have never been into prior to this. I even tried the one Verizon had me type in (http://192.168.3.1) but I get an "connection time out" error page.

I have tried unplugging both the modem and the router, I've tried holding the reset buttons on both for 60 seconds but I am at a standstill. Thankfully, I can access the Internet, but my laptop, which works through the router and my Vonage phone device, which also goes through the router is not working. When I pick up my phone, I get the message, "This Vonage line is not set up for use, please check your network settings". I should also state that the all of the lights on both the modem and the router indicate that all is okay. Westell has Ethernet, DSL and Power light and the Linksys has Power light, Wireless-B, Ethernet (port 2), and the Internet light. None are flashing; all is solid green.

I am sorry if this all sounds quite confusing, but if anyone could possibly help me figure this out, I would really appreciate it. I am trying to avoid calling Verizon again.

Diana

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you've got a computer connected to the router which is connected to the modem correct?

press start, then run, then type "cmd" (without quotes) and press enter, then type "ipconfig /all" (again no quotes) and press enter. under your network connection there should be a number next to "default gateway". put that into your browser

dclary

dclary

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello dsenette, thank you for responding. The number next to default gateway is the http://192.168.1.1 which used to be for my router, now it takes me to the Westell Modem. Below is everything seen under ipconfig /all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Diana>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : desktop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : myhome.westell.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-C2-D5-6F
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.47
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:59:06 A
M
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:59:06 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Diana>

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so theres a cable from the wall to the modem, then the modem to the router, then to the computer?

dclary

dclary

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
There is an Ethernet cable that runs from the back of my tower to the modem and there are two Ethernet cables that run from my router to the back of my Vonage device.

Yesterday I tried reinstalling my router with the disc and it had me connect the Ethernet from the router to the tower and then an Ethernet cable from the modem to the router, but that eliminated the Vonage and I could not connect.

Thank you so much for your help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....what's the vonage device? how was everything hooked up BEFORE verizon had you troubleshoot?

how is the router connected to the modem? does the modem have multiple ports?

dclary

dclary

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The Vonage device is for my home phone, it works through my DSL. Prior to Verizon changing everything, it was set up as follows:

PORTS:

Modem = Has 1 Ethernet port, 1 USB port (not used), power plug and 1 phone line.

Router = Has 1 Ethernet Internet port, 4 Ethernet ports, power plug.

Vonage = Has 1 Ethernet Internet port, 1 Ethernet port, 2 phone line ports, 1 power

SET UP BEFORE VERIZON

Tower to Westell Modem via Ethernet

Phone line from Modem to wall jack

Router to Vonage using 2 Ethernet (1 plain port and 1 from Internet to Internet port)

Phone line from Vonage to phone handset