Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed SP2-Now No internet? Need help quick

• Please log in to reply

mocheeze

mocheeze

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I installed SP2 on a Windows XP machine the other day, but now I can't get on the internet. So I decided to unistall SP2. Everything seemed ok, but I still can't get on the internet. I also found out that the computer doesn't have a IP address or a subnet mask anymore. Still has a DHCP IP, Default Gateway IP, and the DNS IP, but no IP for the computer or subnet. I tried to release/renew, but that didn't work. When trying to renew, it said something like "an error as occured cannot find file specified." Also when SP2 was installed the Security Center service, never started. I went to services, and try to start it manual but nothing happened. It tried to start then errored out saying it couldn't be established. It's running a DSL connection. I even tried to reset the modem,nothing happend. I think SP2 didn't like that machine.

Any Ideas? I need to fix this asap.

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
try to un-install and re-install your driver for your dsl modem. when you upgrade to sp2, some drivers, that you currently have for sp1, might need to be updated to versions that support SP2.

mocheeze

mocheeze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks man. I can't get to the internet to update the drivers, are they stored in a folder when I did the installation of the DSL software? i

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
when you got your dsl modem did you get any software with it on a cd rom? If you did then it should have the drivers on there for you to use. If not, then go to the website of your modem manufacturer and download the driver(s) to a floppy disk or burn them to a CD to transfer them.

Edited by Efwis, 21 May 2005 - 12:52 PM.

mocheeze

mocheeze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK. Will do. Thanks man, I will try that.

mocheeze

mocheeze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I also forgt to mention, if I can remember correctly. That I saw no Ethernet connection icon for the connection in Network Connections.

mocheeze

mocheeze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Any more suggestions about this issue? I was sticking around before I go work on this to see if anybody had any other suggestions, so i can be perpared has possible?

thanks.

mocheeze

mocheeze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I read this off of the Microsoft site and wondering what other services might they be talking about that could stop DHCP from starting?

"If the service is stopped, right-click DHCP Client, and then click Start.

Note If the service does not start, a dependency group or service may also be stopped."

mocheeze

mocheeze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I sovled the problem. Thanks for all your help on the boards. Couldn't of done it with out ya.

later.