Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is processor compatible with the motherboard I have?

• Please log in to reply

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I've been DYING to upgrade my processor. I've finally been given permission to do so. I don't want to spend $117.98 on a processor then figuar out my motherboard is going to reject it! My first problem is I need to know what kind of motherboard I have. I have a T3516 emachine...thats all I know. The current processor I have is an Intel Celeron D 3.20 Ghz processor with a LGA 775 CPU slot and a L2 Cache of 512 kb. I would LIKE to upgrade it to a Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor. :) Will I have to get a new processor? PLEASE HELP!!! :)

Edited by Peptobismol165, 28 April 2010 - 05:13 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
From what I have read about your Emachine you cannot upgrade to a Dual Core like you want the best you can do for this motherboard is a Pentium D instead of a Celeron D which is still a lot better.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Then what kind of motherboard do you suggest? :) (P.S I want to stick with Intel)

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It all depends what you want to do with it and your wallet.

There are lots of choices for the kind of processor you would like, if you like games then you can look at boards that support SLI or Crossfire so you will have in the future the option to have dual Video Card (SLI is for NVIDIA Cards and Crossfire is for ATI Cards).

You also want a good brabd name (Asus, Gigabytes ect) it never garantess anything but you have better quality.

My motherboard which is an Asus P5N32-E SLI would take the Dual Core E7500 you have your eye on and can even be upgraded up.

If you surf the web you will find many options, its up to you to decide.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
THANKS! :)

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Would this be O.K?

MSI P43-C51 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130252

Edited by Peptobismol165, 28 April 2010 - 07:18 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
This looks good, it will take your Dual Core and you can even upgrade in the future if you so desire.

Just remember that some of the harware you have on your present setup might not be compatible with your new Motherboard, specially your RAM so make sure to check if it is compatible before trying to start it up.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Yes I realized that. Well on to my next topic...HOW CAN A 14 YEAR OLD MAKE $400?!? :)

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
That i cannot help you with.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

If you upgrade your motherboard and your present OS is an OEM version it will not work as it is tied to the original computer. If already a retail version, it will be OK.