Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR

• Please log in to reply

jrspie

jrspie

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm trying to start making backups and want to know if the EP45-UD3LR or my SATA external hard drive will be damaged if I turn the hard drive on while the pc is already on.
Thanks for any help.
J.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi J.

No for both.
When you start the external drive Windows will pop up, found new hardware, then something like, Mass storage device, ready to use,
There will be a small icon in the task bar, click on will then display, safely remove hardware with a list, click on the device you want to stop and when confirmed switch the device off.

You can, on a plug and play system, just switch off the device but, if it is the middle of doing something, like writing files, the data could be corrupted.

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Iammykyl,
OK. Thanks for your help.
Now I'm just left with an annoyance to figure out.
And that is that this is not working using eSATA. I've got to find a way to test the connection to the pc case header and then try to work from there.,
Good news is it's working with USB.
Have a good day.
J.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
I would start a new post for the esata problem.