Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win xp Disc Manager now says OS on basic volume

• Please log in to reply

blindjim

blindjim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I run a Win xp Pro sp3 OS on a Dell Optiplex 760. I replaced the 160GB OEM HD using Acronis to migrate - clone that partition onto a WD 1TB. All went great. Then I decided to make another partition on the 1TB drive for data storage. So I used Partition Magic 8.0 to downsize the orig 'C' partition to 180GB, and make a secondary partition 'E' on the balance of the HDD.

Super. I've now got two partitions. computer fires up and all so far seems to be working fine.

Looking in Disc Management, I see some things have now changed though. previously the OS C drive was set as 'Active' Primary but now both major partitions are listed only as 'basic'... online... helthy.

should this worry me? If so how can I convert or activate and set as primary, the partition containing the OS.... without losing data??

Additionally, Acronis had a hidden partition containing a fail safe or 'reload' of the entire OEM OS, one can use if all goes to heck in a hand basket, as it replaces the then OS, PARTITIONS AND ALL with the orig factory loaded config.

...well that also seems to have gone missing as the notation during boot up to enter the Acronis program set up wizard has disappeared.

BTW... I still have the actual and in tact ready to go OEM factory loaded drive.... if necessary.

Any thought here on how to deal with or not, the partition issue i mentioned above is more than appreciated.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you having any issues using the computer...if not then don't worry about it

blindjim

blindjim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

are you having any issues using the computer...if not then don't worry about it

Sage advice... thanks much. that was my direction given the machine is indeed working. It seems a matter of semantics more than else. I was used to seeing words like Active & Primary, vs. Basic.

I'm good... er.. it's good.

BTW... I do have software I'd like to kick and have, but it's hardly worth the trouble... it's far better to throw 'em like Frisbies instead... they go much further... especially if they're naked.

Mucho Gracias.