Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Chkdsk won't run

• Please log in to reply

pawprint

pawprint

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Starting this morning, about 8 hours ago:

I ran TFC as a normal maintenance thing. It quit with the message “C:Windows\Temp\Logishrd is corrupt and unreadable, run chkdsk”

I did >Run>Chkdsk /r, and restarted.
On restart I get “cannot open volume for direct access. Windows has finished checking the disk.”

I tried to restart several times with the same result

Then Windows loaded, slowly.

I used the Dell Utility Partition to run its disc checker and it came back: “The disc has an error or is write protected.” And quit.

I downloaded the Seagate disc checker program and ran.
Short Drive Self Test Failed, as did the Long test.

I tried to do a restore point from a couple of days ago to see it the Chkdsk message would quit. It quit but Windows loaded to a blank desktop and froze. 15 minutes later I powered off. Tried to boot in Safe Mode, would not start

Seagate included an .iso to boot the machine and check. I burned a bootable disc.
It ran and the short test: passed. The long test ran for about 30 minutes and quit. There was a log generated but I could not access it.

.I tried the repair console and was able to run chkdsk it ran for about 3 hours, when finished it said it had repaired 1 or more problems.

I tried to logon from DOS but my password was rejected. I powered off and let windows start. It loaded for about to the desktop for15 minutes and quit. The task manager showed a list of processes, but no applications. Avast showed disabled

I restarted again and let it run, finally after about 10 minutes everything is running and seems to be OK.
Obviously I have a problem. So do I need to replace the hard drive?

Dell Inspiron 530, Core Duo2 GB Memory, Seagate ST3500630AS 500 GB HDXP SP3 fully updated. I run Avast, paid MBAM, paid SAS and spyware blaster.

I am afraid to run any more diagnostics now that is running again

Thanks for listening.

Edited by pawprint, 30 April 2010 - 06:26 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Backup your data ASAP and yes at this point since the long test failed I would look at replacing the hard drive. You can also use a Linux Live cd if the system fails to boot. As long as the hd itself is not dead then you can access your data. Since the system is up and running then backup now just to be safe.
Only backup data as programs will have to be reinstalled along with the OS.

pawprint

pawprint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks, just as I suspected.
I have already backed up.
Will any HD do? I know Dell is fussy, mine will not boot from Puppy or Linux Live. I am amazed it booted from Seagate.
Best regards

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The type of hd or manufacturer should make no difference. Getting the same exact make and model hd with the correct firmware version is going to be impossible I'm sure.
We may have to do some work if you get a larger capacity drive but that is the easy part.
Let us know if if you need some hellp with suggestions.