Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

setting up a VPN between two internet connected PC's

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Hi,
me and my friend are wanting to setup a VPN between are to LAN networks over the internet. Firstly am i right in thinking this should in theory put us both on the same LAN network, E.G 192.168.0.** for both computers?
secondly how would we go about doing this? i have been researching and come across a few guides that seem quite simple to follow using built in windows components. When my friend is going to connect to this, what would he have to enter in to the connection box? would that be my ip address? if this is the case would we be better off if he 'hosted' the VPN as he has a static ip address?

Is there anything else we need to know whilst going about setting this up?

thanks

Josh

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Firstly am i right in thinking this should in theory put us both on the same LAN network, E.G 192.168.0.** for both computers?

sort of. you'll be interconnected in such a way that you'll be able to do direct communication between your two computers.

secondly how would we go about doing this? i have been researching and come across a few guides that seem quite simple to follow using built in windows components.

following most of the guides to set up the default windows VPN setup should get you the rudimentary basics, you may need to make some router changes etc... to get it to fully connect on the hosting side but they should be minimal

When my friend is going to connect to this, what would he have to enter in to the connection box? would that be my ip address? if this is the case would we be better off if he 'hosted' the VPN as he has a static ip address?

it would be better for your friend to host since he's got a static IP. it will make the process A LOT easier. he'll have to set up port forwarding in his router to forward the windows VPN traffic from that static public ip to the private ip on his LAN. then you'd put his public ip in on your side for the connection

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
okay thank you for clearing those things up for me dsenette :)

thanks for your help, following the guides should be simple enough and i'm sure i'll manage with port forwarding. thankyou for your time

Josh