Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Replacing eMachine HD

• Please log in to reply

Quin1234

Quin1234

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
A friend brought over her eMachine last night- she went to bed and it was fine and when she got up it wouldn't boot. Just kept hanging at the screen loading drivers- I tried her OEM recovery dvd's and the only option it gave was a full back to factory format which was fine with her but didn't work. Did some research on the model # (w3653) and found it came with a WD hd so downloaded their Lifeguard software and Gateway's gwscan- both said the hard drive was toast (tried zero'ing the hd with gwscan and it wouldn't even do that). I did get into DOS long enough to try chkdsk/r and fix mbr but no joy. Tried resetting the CMOS battery and then replacing it, double-checked all connections were properly seated and connected while I had it open and then plugged it in with my own power cord just in case but it was none of those and I got the same result. She asked me today about 'the clicking' that it does 'every now and then the last few weeks'. So yeah, I'm pretty sure it actually is the hard drive LOL!

Anyway, she has zero money right now- she's living off of $70 a week as income- but she did have $100 set back for a trip she now can't take so I'm thinking if I can find her an internal hd that meets the same specs as the original I can't imagine it would come anywhere near her limit BUT what I'm wondering is this: If I track one down, she buys it, I pop it in there- can I even use the OEM Recovery dvd's to restore the operating system from a totally new drive? I've always been fortunate in being able to clone my failing drive to a new one before having to replace so haven't dealt with this before and it's a little beyond my comfort level to try and guess- really appreciate any help with this!

Edited by Quin1234, 29 April 2010 - 03:34 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
It depends, if your recovery discs works by itself no problem, if it needs files that were put on a seperate partition of her old hard drive then you cannot. Some can be reinstall just using the recovery DVD while other systems put the files the dvd will need on your hard drive.

I guess you will have to try it to know, if ever you cannot with your Recovery DVD because of the files needed were on the old hard drive then borrow a Vista DVD and with her Vista product key you will not have any problem intalling Vista on the new hard drive. The only problem you will face is that you will have to reinstall manually some of the drivers made for your EMachine that may be your recovery DVD and may have to find some of them on the net.

But i think if you have a recovery DVD (not a CD) you should be able to reinstall without any problem.

You can get a very good second hand hard drive for cheap, I live in Canada and I can easely get a 300g hard drive for $50 or less.

Quin1234

Quin1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm so sorry- I meant to come back and reply to you right away but it slipped my mind! I really appreciate your advice and she's going to give it a try- she spoke to another friend who used to have a computer shop and he said he has a drive that should work and will install it/reload it for her tomorrow afternoon so we're keeping our fingers crossed for her. I had to laugh though- she said 'he says he has a drive that will work IF you're absolutely sure it's the hd'! I think those of us who work on friends computers are so used to the friends leaping to the worst case scenario that our first reaction to hearing a hd failed is that it MUST be something else LOL!

Quin1234

Quin1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Just to update (in case someone else wanders in looking for the same answer some day)- it worked like a charm. Thanks again for the advice!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
If its any consulation....by all indications of what you diagnosed, I also came to the conclusion that it was the drive.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible