Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

window shut down as it get turn on

• Please log in to reply

shoyou

shoyou

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
i open window xp and right after it turn off by itself.
i try normal mode and safe mode and it still happen the same.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you have time try to disable Automatic restart on Systemm Failure, you might be able to see if you get a BSOD (blue screen of death) and if you do write the error code it will help to find the cause of the shutdown.

You can turn it off by going either to:

1- Start/control panel/performance and maintenance/system, then the tab ``advanced`` choose Start Up and Recovery and uncheck Automatic Restart.

2- You can also disable Automatic Restart on System Failure from the F8 menu (where you have the option of Safe Mode)

shoyou

shoyou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
does not work. i try it, no icon show, no task bar. so i press alt+ctrl+del and nothing show. press it again and then the window log off.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you have an XP cd (not an OEM cd)try a repair install.

It will reinstall windows without loosing your personal files and settings (do not forget that you will need your Product Key code)

Or you can try through the recovery console (with your XP cd) to do a chkdsk /r and see if it can find and fix any errors on your hd

Forgot to mentioned make sure your CD/DVD rom is the first boot device if you are using your XP cd

Edited by Alzeimer, 29 April 2010 - 06:27 PM.

shoyou

shoyou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
i don't have a xp CD.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Borrow one. :)

shoyou

shoyou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Borrow one. :)

u can't get another CD to work for your window. it also against the law isn't it?
anymore better method that i can do? with no use of CD.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Using another CD of XP on your computer is not illegal.

It is not the use of the another cd that is prohibited but the use of the product key that came with it.

If you use your product key with another Computer then it will be illegal if an OEM (made for Dell, HP ect and made to fit your particular hardware) if retail then as long as it as not been activated you can use the product key.

Just borrow the same XP version as yours (Pro or Home) and you will not break any law.

shoyou

shoyou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
what if i can't borrow one?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Then I guess you're up the proverbial creek ... without a paddle. :)

Corrupted Operating Systems files need to be replaced with the original, uncorrupted files.

I suppose one could hire a team of Microsoft Programmers to come to your house and attempt to fix the corrupted programs. I'm sure it would be far cheaper though to simply borrow or even buy a CD. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello shoyou...

Tap the F8 key as the machine boots to access the Advanced Boot Options screen. On that screen you should see an option to "Disable Automatic Restart" or something similar. Use the arrow keys to select that option and press Enter.

This should present you with a BSOD when the machine tries to start. Post any error codes on the blue screen. If there are any file names mentioned, post those, too.

wannabe1

shoyou

shoyou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Hello shoyou...

Tap the F8 key as the machine boots to access the Advanced Boot Options screen. On that screen you should see an option to "Disable Automatic Restart" or something similar. Use the arrow keys to select that option and press Enter.

This should present you with a BSOD when the machine tries to start. Post any error codes on the blue screen. If there are any file names mentioned, post those, too.

wannabe1

i didn't have any blue screen. it still do the same, it show the background then log off.

shoyou

shoyou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
really, i need to fit my PC. it's been logging off and not letting me on. i can't get any blue screen of death to appears.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
The computer will never work as it should until the failing hardware and/or corrupted operating system files are replaced.