Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc shutdowns instantly and randomly, happens very often.

• Please log in to reply

Unrestraind

Unrestraind

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, i've been having random shutdowns with no warning and my computer responds to it weird. For example: I'm playing a game, or just on facebook, and my computer just shuts off. So, i try to turn it back on. It dosent do anything. I move my computer around a little bit and my power cord, and it turns on magically, yet my monitor dosent get a signal, so i turn it off manually, and restart it, then it's fine. It goes on with this for hours, and maybe i might get lucky to have it stay on for an hour. I dusted it yesterday, so im almost sure it's not overheating.
Power supply: Orion hd585
Cpu: Amd Athalon single core. 2.8 ghz
Ram: 1 stick ddr2 2 gig

I think it may be the power supply, but if there is an option to fix it some other way, please help!!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi Unrestraind :)
Is the graphics onboard or an add on card?

I dusted it yesterday, so im almost sure it's not overheating

Does this mean the inside of the case? If yes you are obviously comfortable opening up the case, steps to try after power down, press on/off switch to discharge any power left in system,disconnecting all leads & observing anti static precautions:
Remove ram stick, make sure the slot is clean & then reseat securely
Do the same if you have an add on graphics card
Check all the connections from the psu are securely in place, do the same with all other connections HDD, optical drives, case & cpu fans etc
Reassemble the computer
Check that the cord from the graphics port to the monitor is firmly attached both ends, screw in finger tight only.

Good luck & please let us know how it goes

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My money's on a bad power supply... :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
I agree wannabe1, but before suggesting swapping the psu out as the OP said

It dosent do anything. I move my computer around a little bit and my power cord, and it turns on magically yet my monitor dosent get a signal

would this not suggest a loose connection somewhere,
after all better to check before spending cash out

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

I agree wannabe1, but before suggesting swapping the psu out as the OP said

It dosent do anything. I move my computer around a little bit and my power cord, and it turns on magically yet my monitor dosent get a signal

would this not suggest a loose connection somewhere,
after all better to check before spending cash out

Could mean a loose wire or connection , might be inside the computer or inside the PSU. Having to shake the PC to make it works certainly points towards something loose and is not good to do.

(For him having to shake his PC to restart it) Could it be that his motherboard front panel connectors might be loose, also had a similar problem once and it was the motherbaord that was not grounded properly.

If its the PSU it might also explain the sudden shutdowns he keeps having. If it shutdowns and he has to shake things around his Power suplly to restart it seems to me PSU problem.

If it was another problem wouldn't the system just shutdown and restart by itself.

Edited by Alzeimer, 02 May 2010 - 06:10 AM.