Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot-up problem with RAID Config.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Mr.E

Mr.E

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi,

I am working on a friends DELL XPS 600(desktop, not laptop). It was originally setup with a RAID 1 configuration (2 HDDs). The original problem was that on startup it would give an error saying Windows could not start because c:\windows\system32\config\system is corrupted or missing. I was unable to get into recovery console or to boot with any of the safe modes. I thought about using a live cd but i do not have one and everytime i try to make a Bart PE Live CD i always get errors (possibly because i am trying to use the OS cd that dell ships with their computers). I have instructions for recovering from a corrupted registry, and have successfully followed them before, but they require recovery console access.

I did find out that in the bios i can change the SATA HDD setting from RAID ON to just ON and can boot into windows and do everything i need from there. Once that change has been made i can get into recovery console and everything else. This leads me to believe that there is a problem with the raid controller. I reset the bios config for SATA HDD to RAID ON and hit CTRL+N to enter the RAID CONTROLLER SETUP. It shows the mirrored RAID1 config but gives a status of simply ERROR(no details or explanation, just ERROR). If i let the computer try to boot it will say REBUILD RAID1 MIRRORED <Drive size> and then shortly after go to the windows could not load because of corrupted or missing \system32\config\system message...

Would anyone have any idea how i can restore this raid config without having to do a complete reformat? My friend is very much against reformatting the drives if we can find a way to work around it...

Thanks for your time!

Advertisements

Mr.E

Mr.E

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
never mind. Friend decided that he just wanted to use the second HDD as extra space.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for letting us know...