Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why it is so slow to load the windows?

• Please log in to reply

Summer6

Summer6

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I am using windows xp and it always cost a long time to load the windows every time I start my computer. About 3 seconds. I have follow the 360 Safe Guard to forbid some software to run when starting the computer.
Anyone help?

Edited by Summer6, 29 April 2010 - 10:10 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
3 seconds is pretty fast to load xp, maybe you meant 3 minutes.

Summer6

Summer6

Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

3 seconds is pretty fast to load xp, maybe you meant 3 minutes.

sorry, make a mistake, I mean 3 minutes. :)

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
There might be lots of reason for this to happen and one of them is your are infected by a malicious software so maybe you should first go to the "Virus Spyware and Trojan Removal" section first to verify if your problems are not cause by that and if after a clean result you still have problems we will look at other probabilities.

Summer6

Summer6

Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

There might be lots of reason for this to happen and one of them is your are infected by a malicious software so maybe you should first go to the "Virus Spyware and Trojan Removal" section first to verify if your problems are not cause by that and if after a clean result you still have problems we will look at other probabilities.

I have do the Virus Scan and it says there isn't any virus.. :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Actually "3 minutes" isn't all that bad.

Which CPU and how much RAM are you running?

(Press [Winkey+Pause/Break], or right-click "My Computer" and select "Properties" to find out).

What is the total capacity of, and how much free space is left on your "C:" drive?

(Click "Start" > "My Computer" then right-click "C:" and select "Properties" to find out).

If you have a name brand computer, who is the manufacturer and what is the model number?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Summer6

Summer6

Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Actually "3 minutes" isn't all that bad.

Which CPU and how much RAM are you running?

(Press [Winkey+Pause/Break], or right-click "My Computer" and select "Properties" to find out).

What is the total capacity of, and how much free space is left on your "C:" drive?

(Click "Start" > "My Computer" then right-click "C:" and select "Properties" to find out).

If you have a name brand computer, who is the manufacturer and what is the model number?

The CPU is Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU.
The RAM is 0.99GB
The total is 14.6GB, and the free space is 5.4GB

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
  • Is this a Laptop or Desktop?

• What is the speed of the "Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU" (GHz)?

(You can usually see it on the System Properties screen ... [Winkey]+[Pause/Break] or right-click "My Computer" and select "Properties").

• How old and what RPM is that 20GB hard drive?

• Have you run a Hard Drive Diagnostics to see if it's starting to develop a problem?

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
    http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
    Make sure you select the tool which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
    Depending on the program, it'll create a bootable floppy or bootable CD.
    If the downloaded file is an ".iso" type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD, (select the "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

(Thanks to Broni for the instructions).

• If it passes the Diagnostics, run a "CHKDSK C: /R" to check the file system:

How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

• When's the last time you ran a Defrag?

How To Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305781

• Will your motherboard support more RAM? (You can use Crucial's System Scanner tool to find out: http://www.crucial.c...nner/index.aspx). If it will, and it's not too expensive, I'd bump it up to 2GB.