Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost my window vista disk

• Please log in to reply

coyotegal

coyotegal

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I lost my window vista disk to install os. I have the product key. Is there any way to get a copy of the disk if someone else has it on there computer and just use my product key?

Edited by coyotegal, 29 April 2010 - 11:27 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Yes, you could borrow one from a friend and use your Product Key.

coyotegal

coyotegal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
She doesnt have the disk. It was on her computer when she got it. Is there some way she can burn me a copy of it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the make of your computer?
You can contact the manufacturer and usually buy a recovery cd for less then 50 USD which normally includes the OS and all drivers.

coyotegal

coyotegal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
They will not send me one, because about a year ago the motherboard went bad so I replaced it and bought the windows vista. So I need the disk to reinstall it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then your options are limited at this time. Borrow one of the same type you have installed Home, Media or Pro or you will have to purchase one.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
If you bought the copy of Windows Vista, then you will have a retail product key. What type of machine does your friend have? Some OEM's will create recovery media that installs drivers, programs, etc that you dont want or need since your hardware doesnt match.

You can call Microsoft and get a replacement shipped to you, provided you have all the correct information associated with your purchase. They will probably charge you a small fee to do so, but its much better then buying the OS again.

If you can borrow a disc, it doesnt matter which version it is as long as you get a 32bit disc, if thats what your using. When you provide your key in the installation, Vista will select which version is associated with it.

Edited by diabillic, 30 April 2010 - 11:30 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

They will not send me one, because about a year ago the motherboard went bad so I replaced it and bought the windows vista

Where did the Vista come from that is installed?

coyotegal

coyotegal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok I got a windows vista disk. I try to install it and get error code 80070017. I also get bootmrg is missing. Can someone please help me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What exactly are you trying to do?
Install fresh
Repair

Did you change the boot sequence in the bios so that the cdrom was the first boot device?
You can go to HERE to read the tutorial by one of the members here on how to do a Fresh Install or Repair Installation of you OS.

coyotegal

coyotegal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
There is nothing on the hard drive. I am trying to install windows vista on the computer. It boots from cd. I go through the steps and it starts installing and and then the message pops up and says Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017.

Then I tryed not booting from cd and it came up bootmgr is missing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

It boots from cd. I go through the steps and it starts installing and and then the message pops up and says Windows cannot install required files.

This is normally caused by a scratched or dirty installation cd or a cdrom not reading correctly.

coyotegal

coyotegal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is there some why I can download the windows vista and burn it on a dvd? I am on my labtop right now that is running windows 7 but I do have a computer that is runnin vista. If I can't download it and burn it, is there a way to make a copy of it on my other computer.

Edited by coyotegal, 30 April 2010 - 07:14 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope you can't. You have to have the installation disk to install it. As Diabillic said in his last post

You can call Microsoft and get a replacement shipped to you, provided you have all the correct information associated with your purchase. They will probably charge you a small fee to do so, but its much better then buying the OS again.

Since you have a COA you will need to provide that along with some other info and they should be able to supply you a full version of the same thing you had. Your key should work then to activate it and register.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Is there some why I can download the windows vista and burn it on a dvd?

There is no legal free Vista download available.

If I can't download it and burn it, is there a way to make a copy of it on my other computer.

If all you have available is the installed Vista OS files, I suppose you could round them all up and copy them to a CD. But, someone would then have to recreate the Windows Vista installation routine.