Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu 10.04

• Please log in to reply

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
... released yesterday! :)

Here are my initial thoughts after playing with Lucid Lynx for the last 24 hours...
  • Beautiful new themes! Ambiance and radiance are wonderful. They look more professional and less aliased than previous Ubuntu themes.
  • The Software Center has been redesigned (and significantly increased in volume), much to my delight.I was playing Billiards at one in the morning! Now I need sleep...
  • No Flash plugin for x64?!?! What the...? I'm going to try the 32-bit version and see if that makes a difference... I can deal with not using Photoshop (hooray GIMP!), but not watching YouTube or my A+ training videos is really pushing it.
  • Having trouble with the slideshow desktop background that was introduced. For some reason, it doesn't want to change pictures. I tried editing the XML file, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
  • Gwibber? Yes please. Having my Facebook and Twitter right on my desktop is wonderful- no Firefox extension or freeware app can match this simplicity.
Well, there's a start. Anyone else try it yet?

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Try the following at the command line:

sudo aptitude install flashplugin-installer

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Anyone, trying the upgrade to 10.04 on a dual boot with Vista, be careful, it ruined my perfectly working dual boot.

FNP

FNP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
What happened, specifically?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It corrupted the dual boot Grub loader and Vista would not load.
Fixed, thank you as soon as it happened by reverting back to previous installation.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 May 2010 - 10:14 AM.

FNP

FNP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Huh. I know I had problems with GRUB when I installed 9.10.

I don't use GRUB. In my installation I'm using the Windows bootloader and EasyBCD to create a Ubuntu entry. Seamless dual-boot for me. :)

tenzi

tenzi

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
well its my first time trying my hands on Linux/Ubuntu and i pretty much like it seems like you can do a lot on it. only problem and frustrating is my home wireless won't connect to the Ubuntu though when i am on win7 it has no problem connecting to my home wireless. oahh yeh i had a dual boot, Win7 and Ubuntu 10.04.
Though i got suggestion from Ubuntu forum but some how can't make it happen even with wicd !!!
hopefully, i will make it happen...!!!

User of Windows

User of Windows

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, at least GRUB is less buggier! And yes, I love these themes O.o :)

Pawanhammers

Pawanhammers

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I had a problem with upgrading, I think many other have had the same problem aswell. Here it is.

http://www.geekstogo...or-t277128.html

Pawanhammers

Pawanhammers

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I've tried ubuntu. And i'm new to it, i'd say its very good and fast - also virus free. But I still don't see why use ubuntu over XP.

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
A lot of nerds (like me) prefer it because it's open-source, free and fun to experiment with. We use it because we can. And it lets us learn about new technologies and concepts that you can't get with Windows.

Oh, and did I mention it's free? :)

Pawanhammers

Pawanhammers

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Yes its free alright - and alot more customizeable. I wonder what will be done to the next version? ubuntu is pretty much as good as it can be now.

FNP

FNP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Yes its free alright - and alot more customizeable. I wonder what will be done to the next version? ubuntu is pretty much as good as it can be now.

In 1981, Bill Gates is thought to have said, "640 KB [of memory] ought to be enough for everyone."

Never say that technology is as good as it's going to get. Everything changes, always. :)

Pawanhammers

Pawanhammers

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Thanks for the quote - this proves it.

And what?!?

640kb of memory people are buying 8GBS of memory now!

FNP

FNP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
I know. :) I have single processes that use more than 640K. Just goes to show that you can never accurately predict where technology will go.