Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help!

• Please log in to reply

joemad

joemad

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi i recently bought a Geforce gts250 1gb GDDR3 card for my pc , my psu is 375 watts i have tried the dell support and people are saying that the dell psu can carry more than there rating . I did purchase a 570 psu but the hard drive power cable is at an angle and i cant find an angled extension piece as the hard drive is on the bottom and the cable is tight to the side panel, so i was wondering will the psu in my pc carry the card as they were saying in dell support or will it be bad for my pc? Ps i have never changed a graphics card before. Any help would be greatly recieved thanks, this is my system

Intel® Processor Q6600 Quad Core™ (2.40GHz, 1066Mhz FSB, 8MB cache)

4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]

SINGLE 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT card

once again thanks

Edited by joemad, 30 April 2010 - 11:24 AM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Your PSU will not do, buy a minimum 550 watt or more if you can, I'm even surprise you can run your system with your 375 watts it must have strech to its limits and even then.

As for your hard drive is there another place you can move it to (depending of your case).

You can also buy an extension for you connector at most reputable stores.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi ioemad. Welcome to Geeks.

I have an old computer in which I replaced a hard drive and mistakenly fitted it upside down. Did not seem to make any difference. If you did the same, would your cable attach?

Maybe I was just lucky?

Anybody?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

mistakenly fitted it upside down

I have done this before, just not mistakenly. :) If it fits and works, then it fits and works. :)

joemad

joemad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Wow thanks for the quick reply ,I decided to go with a 700w psu and managed to get an angled sata cable (after much searching) but now after an hour of running Modern Warfare 2 my screen goes blank and i have to power off my unit , any body got any ideas? thanks (sorry my system the same except grapics card is now GEForce gts 250 1gb ddr3 and a 700w psu my os is 32bit)

Edited by joemad, 02 May 2010 - 04:34 AM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Was it frozen and that is why you had to power off the unit.

Things you can check:

Does it do that while only playing that game or other games too.

Does it do that while doing other demanding video applications.

Is your case well ventilated, did you check if your video card fan is running.

Not always the case but usually when a pc freezes while playing a game its either the video card or the game itself who as a problem.

Check if COD modern warfare 2 as the same issues whith other users.

joemad

joemad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the reply , no this never happened with my last card but i did notice an extra cable in the box of the new card but cant find were to connect it in my system ,i see were it goes on the card maybe its for the fan on my new card ? it a Sparkle GeForce 250gts 1gb il try up a picture of the cable (ok havin probs uploading a pic ) but the cable is a little 2pin connecter on 1 end and 2 long single pin connecters other end?? Sorry if my explaining is not good

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
This is taken from a review of the card:

"The card has two 6-pin power connectors on the side of the card"

"A spiral-type heatsink is employed to cool the GPU core. A metal cover spans the length of the card, presumably to direct airflow over the PCB. However, this may also trap the hot air emanating from various components."

So check if your two 6-pin power connectors are connected connected properly.

Also they say in the manual of your card that it is preferable to connect the power of your card by itslef and not have it shared with any other components (like HDD or CD/DVD).

Things for you to try hope it helps.

joemad

joemad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks again AL when i left my last post i went in and used the power lead they sent with the card as it had a six pin adapter on 1 end an two molex on the other i havent had a chance to see if it crashs during gaming but will let you know if it does as i may need further help once again thanks for the quick reply!!!! :) :)

joemad

joemad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok all seems to be fine gave it a good run today and no screen loss the cable was the problem . Once again thanks for the help guys its nice to know a "newb" has a place to turn too :) :) :) :)

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Ok all seems to be fine gave it a good run today and no screen loss the cable was the problem . Once again thanks for the help guys its nice to know a "newb" has a place to turn too :) :) :) :)

Glad all is working properly.

joemad

joemad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok i ran modern warfare 2 last nite and bang on 1 hour into play i lost signal again , it was working fine for a day or so and now this has happened any ideas anyone ?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I have checked many forums concerning COD Modern Warfare 2 and lots of people have the same issue when playing the game some loose the signal and have to reboot after 10 mimutes some 20 and a lot said that it use to work fine and just started at one point doing this (also even if it happens in both single and multiplayer most people have problems when playing Multiplayer) but lots think it is a bug in the game (the same issues happens in the PS3 version and the XBOX 360).

So test your system with other demanding games to see if you have the same problem.

joemad

joemad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok Al after much trawling through forums and the like i decided to check what temp was in the pc with a thing called Riva it turns out that it was running at 82- 83 when played for 20 mins, i had read that if the card goes above 82c it will shut down so i put an extra fan in Im going to see if that works as the card was getting very hot , which leads to my next questian.......any idea were i put the fan speed cable (which is 3 or 4 pin )on the Mother board?

Edited by joemad, 07 May 2010 - 11:56 AM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It does seem to hot and might be the reason it is shutting down.

Depending how are things inside your case you might not have enough airflow to keep the card temperature to a reasonable level.

Make sure it is well clear of any wires and also check if you have close component to your card that might ptoduce heat and that the heat it generates is taking in (instead of cool air) by your card fan to cool down your GPU core.

Remeber what i wrote about what they said in the review of your card:

"A spiral-type heatsink is employed to cool the GPU core. A metal cover spans the length of the card, presumably to direct airflow over the PCB. However, this may also trap the hot air emanating from various components."

As for where to plug a fan it all depends of your motherboard, mine as connectors to plug 4 extra fans if you have your manual check in it to see where they are located, A case fan as 3 wires but you can buy one that as a molex connector and plus it directly to your PSU but it will always run at maximum speed but if you buy a quiet one it will not be a bother.

Airflow in a computer case is usually air in from the front (or side) and air out from the rear.