Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no sound when on internet

• Please log in to reply

c32used

c32used

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok per request I started a new topic...basically I have had no sound when on internet for about 3/4 days...I originally had no sound period but thru following some simple methods via other forums it made it possible to get WMP and PC sounds going but it didn't correct the sounds for online....the pc sound was muted somehow in the advance controller in Start, Accessories, entertainment, volume control. I put it to control all sound functions...I reinstalled K-lite and before that updated AC 97 codecs(I presume that's the name) basically nothing seem to work. I want say it started short after I downloaded an Avatar screensaver I'll list location only if asked by mod..people become trigger happy when they see links posted. I even tried from another forum something with inputting some registry stuff but nothing. I tried as suggested on another similar thread here but stuck at can't get to the \driver32 in My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32..so now I'm stuck...

Attached Thumbnails

• SS.jpg

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I want say it started short after I downloaded an Avatar screensaver I'll list location only if asked by mod

Since you say you downloaded a screensaver then the first approach I am impelled to suggest is malware removal. Since you make no other statement I assume everything was working before you downloaded the screensaver. Since it stopped working i assume you have a active infection at this point.
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

c32used

c32used

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I do have super anti-spyware and malwarebytes anti-spyware but I doubt I ran them since I will try it and see what occurs............thanks for quick reply

c32used

c32used

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well I don't know if it was the Super anti-spyware or the reboot but after running and deleting 17 detected file via Super anti-spyware after the recommended reboot my sound came back...Thanks for your help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thats great to hear. I'm glad it came back but it makes me wonder if your infection may be even more deep;y rooted. You may want to post in the malware forum to make sure it is all gone.

c32used

c32used

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thats great to hear. I'm glad it came back but it makes me wonder if your infection may be even more deep;y rooted. You may want to post in the malware forum to make sure it is all gone.

I'll say this cause I don't have the time to look and post there right now I caught a very smart virus a while back it came to me thru yim(messenger) a friend sent me a link and PC was just acting weird but it wasn't a dangerous virus(that I know of) basically thru advise I had to do a combofix.exe but for some reason I wasn't able to go to download on thru PCit but used my laptop and downloaded it to flash drive..well basically after renaming CF.exe cause virus wouldn't let it run(as named) it ran and appeared to remove said virus but I always had an issue with internet that every time I reboot I can't connect(though it showed I'm connected)...so I used winsockxpfix.exe to reset my IP settings daily but this no sound issue got me to probe into the hardware manager...I had a few exclamation marks. I was told to uninstall and reinstall network and sound related hardware and reboot and reinstall. Well there was a 2nd network adapter identical to first and by uninstalling the real one the 2nd one went(I tried to uninstall the 2nd first but it didn't let me) anyways surprise my connectivity issue was gone(I'm thinking a mockup network adapter was created and command sent to me to that one once I tried to go to internet) so it fixed the IP issue and your smart assumption found a fix to the sound. That is why I like writing what and how it happened cause smart analyst as yourself will use your best judgment for direction and whala all is good. (if you chose you can rewrite and post this info where you feel it will suit best your forum) thanks and God bless.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the very detailed explanation as it will surely help someone else in the future with the same problem. The response here is fine and will remain here since others will look over this topic I'm sure and can see what you have done to correct the issue.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)

c32used

c32used

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thank you for the very detailed explanation as it will surely help someone else in the future with the same problem. The response here is fine and will remain here since others will look over this topic I'm sure and can see what you have done to correct the issue.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)

Your forum deserves the thanks more...I've searched other forums with little success and not to mention the constant trying to lead you to buy something but never reply when you ask for help. Thank God there is still free info to help others and forums like this who actually do help. I love to contribute when I can...and honestly those other forum til today have not responded while you did the first day..I'm learning to tackle PC issues on my own instead of paying an unnecessary ton of money and thanks to you all it cost me was time and proper reading.

c32used

c32used

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ya know I wanted to possibly correct a solution that may not really have fixed my problem I stated that after downloading an avatar screensaver I lost my sound or changes occurred but I also downloaded it to my laptop and didn't have an issue and I'm still running that avatar screensaver on both my laptop and desktop without a problem...what I think may have corrected is possibly this(http://www.mydigital...dio-in-windows/ ) it downloads info into your registry but it didn't ask me to reboot so I didn't. But after I ran Anti-spyware as told to try here it asked me to reboot for changes to take effect. It's this that makes me think maybe the solution was the registry stuff but it's hard to determine to be honest. I came back to try to finish this with all possible corrections tried in order to regain my sound. I'm pleased that everything is fine..I would like to suggest to anyone who has this or similar issue to keep using a search engine to try to find all methods used but read fully first to see if the method tried sound like they may work. Be careful with links that lead you to buying a product. The posters posting might be fake profiles to make you believe it works.