Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New comp build..

• Please log in to reply

Jaysama

Jaysama

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
So at the suggestion of a few on this forum I've decided to look into buildin a good gaming com. Right now I have about $2000 and live in NE Ohio. How the heck do I get started?
Thank you in advance for your advice .

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Everything is a choice from processors (AMD or INTEL) to video cards (ATI or NVIDIA) to memory (KINGSTON' CORSAIR' OCZ ect) to motherboards (ASUS, GIGABYTE, ect)

Processor
A fast CPU, or processor, will aid the video card in drawing up to 51 billion polygons per second in first person shooters and MMORPGs (massively multiplayer online role-playing games), alike. Some systems include powerful quad-core processors. Also a good fan for you processor will always help it's performance, stock fan will do a good job but if you plan on making your machine work hard you should think to upgarde to a better one.

Memory
Large amounts of memory allows the computer to quickly access frequently used information or programs; a critical component for gaming. A gaming PC should have at least 1 GB (2 and up recommended)of RAM and sufficient hard drive space to have multiple games installed at a time. Some games can occupy over 12GB of hard drive space.

Video
A game is only as good as the graphics card supporting it. Many games have life–like, real–time images that require a powerful graphics card. ATI and nVidia graphics cards are the most common amongst gamers, and at least 512MB of proprietary video RAM is needed for most current games.

Power Supply
A high end gaming machine will require lots of power so a minimum of 650 should be considered and for a few extra dollars a higher one would be better. Look at the reviews for the real power consumption for an 80%+ efficiency and a known brand is always better.

Audio
A gaming PC sound card, integrated or not, should be capable of reproducing 5.1 or 7.1 channels of sound so you can know where your enemies are approaching from.

Case
A well ventilated case will always help a gaming pc and make sure all your components will fit in it and not make it to cramped.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hello again jaysama.

Been waiting for your post.

Just a few general tips.

Take your time, don:t rush in selecting your parts, where you buy and especially building the PC.

On line buying sometimes looks very good but, shipping has to be taken into account. I have heaps of computer stores here with excellent pricing, so prefer to buy over the counter.

I will follow your progress with great interest..