Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unreasonable high CPU usage

• Please log in to reply

aresko

aresko

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi guys, I hope its okay that I created a new topic though my problem may be a common one.

I came home from a weekend a few weeks ago to a bluescreen, I rebooted and ever since my computer have been impossible slow. I can't play music or videos due to lag.

I have a licensed version of Windows XP Professional 2002 service pack 3, and I run the F-secure virus program, set to update whenever it wants.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im a graduate engineer student now, and should be able to fix this myself, but choosing mechanical instead of computer science has left me a bit short on the topic:p I have had no problems at all until that bluescreen.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   4.59KB   178 downloads

Edited by BHowett, 30 April 2010 - 10:49 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If it was working one day and right after your BSOD it is very slow maybe it is due to your ram not working to its capabilities (the BSOD and lag can be a result of bad memory).

Did you have time to see the error code of your blue screen (it would help).

If you can download MEMTEST86 burn it to a cd and boot from the cd so to check your ram. If you have more then 1 stick of ram take them out and only test them one at a time.

I wish I could help you with your HIJACKTHIS log but I am no expert on that, others will be more able to help you.

aresko

aresko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried running the memtest86 on both memory sticks, and they both passed with no errors.

I didn't see, or write down the error code.

aresko

aresko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Anyone here that could take a look at the hijackthis log?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
That would need to be posted in this forum:

Geeks to Go! » Security » Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal
http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
F-Secure is a resource hog, that is more than likely responsible for your high CPU usage

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Right click on my computer...then properties..

Click on the ...Hardware tab then the ...Device Manager... click the + beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ...right click on each Primary and Secondary IDE channel choose ...Properties... click...Advanced Settings..tab. and list what you find as the Current Transfer Mode for each device listed for each channel...
if any are in PIO mode...
EXAMPLE ..the Primary IDE channel shows its in PIO mode

Right click on the Primary IDE channel and choose ...Uninstall.......Accept the change...then reboot let Windows reinstall the channel and the devices assigned to it ...IMPORTANT.. then reboot again

Should the channel go back to the PIO setting again in the future it indicates a problem with your hard drive. You must keep your backups current ... I highly recommend keeping FREQUENT backups anyway...just in case your hard drive fails....

it also wouldn't hurt to run chkdsk /r

aresko

aresko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the replies

SpuwareDR: OK thanks, ill try that.

Rorschach112: Well I know, but is it as bad as all the others on the market? What would you recommend? And I don't think that is my problem, as I have used this for a long time without any of the troubles I experience now.

happyrock:

Primary Channel (1)
-Device 0: PIO Mode
-Device 1: Not Applicable

Primary Channel (2)
-Device 0: Ultra DMA Mode 2

Primary Channel (3)
-Device 0: Not Applicable

Secondary Primary Channel (1)

Secondary Primary Channel (2)

Secondary Primary Channel(3)

If i understood you correctly I should uninstall the Primary Channel (1) - as it shows its in PIO mode?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

If i understood you correctly I should uninstall the Primary Channel (1) - as it shows its in PIO mode?

yep...then reboot and make sure its using Ultra DMA mode 5

Edited by happyrock, 04 May 2010 - 03:27 PM.

aresko

aresko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's been working now for the last few days! Thanks! No lag on video or music.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
We recommend either Avast or Avira anti-vir for virus scanners. They are both very low in resources and do an excellant job.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)