Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

is there a way to add bartpe to boot.ini

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i tried an expiriment the other day i copied my bartpe disk onto the c drive in a folder called bartpe. i than tried to write an entry in boot.ini pointing at the folder. the problem is every time i restart and try to select the bartpe option i always get cant find ntoskrnl or cant find hal. does anyone know how to write the entry properly?? heres what i have so far

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Xp Professional" /KERNEL=NtosKrnl.exe
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="The Oh [bleep] Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\bartpe="Bartpe" /fastdetect

Edited by mikeloeven, 30 April 2010 - 05:16 PM.

Advertisements

Matthew C. Miller

Matthew C. Miller

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I found the following instructions on how to do this at: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/faq/#9
  • Run PE-Builder and build as normal (no need to create an ISO image).
  • After building, goto the <pebuilder>\plugin\peinst folder and run peinst.cmd <path> c:, where <path> is the PE Builder output folder (default <pebuilder>\BartPE).
  • Select option 5) Install BartPE to c: and 2) Install PE-loader in c:\boot.ini.
  • This will add a line to your boot.ini for loading BartPE and is done is just a second. This action is only needed once, you can skip this next time.
  • Select option 5) Install BartPE to c: and 1) Install BartPE files to c:.
  • This will install the BartPE files in c:\minint and c:\programs. This will take a few minutes.
  • When peinst.cmd has succesfully finished, reboot your system and select Boot BartPE (by PE Builder) from the boot.ini menu.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
thanks but i already had a premade barts disk and i kinda dont want to make another one is there just a way to manually write the file to link to the pre existing folder

i changed the line to \bartpe\i386 and i got it to find the hal but not the ntoskrnl

Edited by mikeloeven, 30 April 2010 - 08:12 PM.

Matthew C. Miller

Matthew C. Miller

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
You might be able to, depending on which files are in the existing folder.
  • Does it have an ntoskrnl file there?
  • Does it have peboot.bin there? Or in C:\?
If neither of these are there, you'll have to follow the instructions and create the necessary files. I doubt you'll find them, actually, but do check because that would save you the trouble.

Here are some more specific instructions, if you prefer: http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4866

Hope this helps!

Have a great weekend,
-Matthew

Edited by Matthew C. Miller, 30 April 2010 - 09:10 PM.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
you know since these files arent in the cd exactly how does the cd manage to boot the computer withought them ?? it has to have some kind of kernel even if it is renamed or somthing. unless of course iso based operating systems follow their own special rules or somthing.

Edited by mikeloeven, 01 May 2010 - 04:54 AM.

Matthew C. Miller

Matthew C. Miller

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I don't know the details for sure, but I believe there is a kernel on the CD (though it may have a different filename). I know that ntoskernl is the name of the Windows kernel, but as far as I know, BartPE doesn't use any Windows components itself.

As I understand it, when you use the BartPE CD to install onto a hard drive, it custom-builds the peboot.bin mini-kernel based on your environment.

It looks to me like you'll have to run through the installation program in order to boot from that directory.

-Matthew

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

I don't know the details for sure, but I believe there is a kernel on the CD (though it may have a different filename). I know that ntoskernl is the name of the Windows kernel, but as far as I know, BartPE doesn't use any Windows components itself.

As I understand it, when you use the BartPE CD to install onto a hard drive, it custom-builds the peboot.bin mini-kernel based on your environment.

It looks to me like you'll have to run through the installation program in order to boot from that directory.

-Matthew

if it does have a renamed kernel of some kind cant i just remove /fastdetect and add kernel="filename" of the renamed file. i know for a fact when i make a custom boot screen it copies the ntoskrnl file to customboot.exe and overwrites the bitmaps. in order to use the bootscreen i have to change my boot.ini from KERNEL=Ntoskrnl.exe to KERNEL=customboot.exe.

the only problem is that the folder has so many freaking exe files i cant even begin to guess

Edited by mikeloeven, 01 May 2010 - 03:36 PM.

Matthew C. Miller

Matthew C. Miller

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Sounds like a bit of research is in order then. I suggest googling "bartpe kernel file" or something similar. Or maybe post your question on the forum at the boot-land website I provided earlier; they specialize in stuff like BartPE and may be able to answer more specifically than I could.

Sorry I couldn't provide a firmer solution for you!

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
well there doesent seem to be much documentation on installing barts from cd i guess ill have to send an email to bart himself and maby he can tell me what i need to know

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Your problem is that the directory you are pointing to doesnt have that 4 byte boot sector that is included in the MBR to set a partition as active. Theres a utility in BartPE to create a bootable flash drive, I suggest you give that a try and move the files to your directory thats being booted.