Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flashing the Bios, worth it?

• Please log in to reply

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Hi there,

I've been having some stability issues with my PC, especially on boot. Sometimes it just fails to go into Windows 7, but on restart it boots fine. Whenever I make any hardware changes (for instances overclocking), the PC boots fine the first time, but about a day afterwards it starts giving issues. I've got 6GB of RAM and recently, while working in InDesign CS4, i kept getting a message that I'm out of memory...

So I was thinking, would flashing/upgrading the BIOS be a worthwhile endeavour? I'm planning on wiping the drives and everything and starting from scratch anyhow, would just like to know if upgrading the BIOS would make any difference at all? If so, I'd like to have a chat through the process? I checked my BIOS version but I don't know which file to download from Intel's site (for instance do I downlaod each upgrade consecutively or do I just download the latest one, etc etc etc)...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Wiping the drive will be of more benefit. Please don't flash the BIOS if you don't know what you're doing as if it goes wrong the entire system will not work again.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Have a look at the release notes for the BIOS and see if there are any reported issues fixed that sound similar to yours.