Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB - This Noise Normal?

• Please log in to reply

confusedoldlady

confusedoldlady

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello Guys, hope you can help (again :) )

I purchased a new PC last week and it has a WD10EADS-22M2BO HDD, aka Western Digital 1tb Caviar Green.

It makes a sound every 5-6 seconds that sounds like a "clonk" or a dripping tap when the drop of water hits a stainless steel sink. It's not a loud noise, but audible without straining to hear. If the TV was on very loud I probably couldn't hear it though.

I asked the manufacturer's support if this is normal or not, but they just said send it back and if it's faulty we'll replace. If it's not faulty you have to pay the costs of return/collection, which is a considerable amount.

I don't know whether to return it or not. My last PC died due to HDD failure and my husband says I'm paranoid about the noise, but he doesn't know anything about computers.

I've searched WD's own knowledge base and found nothing. Anybody got one of these?

PS
I ran WD's diagnostic programme on it and it passed the tests but I used the download for Windows as I can't get this PC to boot from a CD and don't want to interfere with the BIOS in case I do have to return it.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

don't want to interfere with the BIOS in case I do have to return it.

You would not be "interfering" with anything. All you would be doing is changing the boot order to put the CD ahead of the HD. In this way, you are prompted to boot from the CD every time you boot. If you press a key when prompted, the system will look to the optical drive for a bootable disk. If one is found, it will boot to the CD. If you don't press a key, if no disk is present, or if the disk is not bootable, it should simply time out after 3 or 4 seconds and move to the next boot device - in this case, the HD, and boot normally.

HDs often make [often alarmingly loud] mechanical noises. This is normal, if not too frequently - several times a day would not alarm me. Several times a minute would.

Have you run Error Checking on the drive? This is done from withing Windows Explorer. Right click on the drive and select Properties > Tools > Check now... Ensure both options are checked, then click Start. When prompted to allow the system to check the drive upon next boot, say yes and follow the prompts and normal steps to reboot. Note for a large drive, it can take many hours, often more than a day to complete - and may appear hung. Just let it be until complete. This is the same as running chkdsk /r from the DOS Prompt.

I asked the manufacturer's support

Which manufacturer? IMO, you should be dealing with the PC maker, not the hard drive maker - since this PC is only a week old.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
I have had HDD that made very strange noise but always worked good while others would make the system freeze after those clonk, so its hard to say yes or no to it being bad.

Perform intensive HDD test to see if it passes them.

If your paranoid about it failing you again you can try to install those HARD DISK Checker program that will tell if it is good or if you should change your drive (try ADRC HARD DISK CHECKER it is a free program).

Hopefully it will only be a noisy HDD you have and not a soon to be defective one.

confusedoldlady

confusedoldlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for your reply :) EDIT: Alzheimer posted while I was typing, this reply to Digerati

To address your points:

BIOS
I tried to get it to boot from the CD in the same way as my old PC. Access set up and use the + and - keys to change the order of boot drive, but on this new one it put parentheses around the drives that I tried to change (including the HDD) and there was text saying "drives in parentheses have been disabled". When I first entered the set up all the drives were in parentheses except the HDD. So I panicked and exited without saving changes. I don't want to mess with this in case I decide to return it and they blame my meddling and charge me!

HDD Noise
I have been searching about this and somebody mentioned that this drive parks it's head every 8 seconds and this could accelerate wear and shorten it's life (from a consumer review on Newegg). My noise is definitely every 5-6 seconds. Other than this little "clonk" noise it's very quiet in operation. I used the PC's own diagnostic health check tool on the whole system and I noticed that in the 1 minute it took to collect the data, the HDD didn't make the "clunk" at all. It is most noticeable when the drive is idle. It's doing it right now though as I type.

Manufacturer
I am dealing with the PC Manufacturer not the HDD, sorry I didn't make that clear. I did try to get the retailer to refund my money but they said they can't unless I contact the PC Manufacturer's support first, which is pretty abysmal. Tbh, I'm sick of the whole thing. The other 2 PC's I've owned since 1995 didn't develop faults until they were years old.

Having found some very negative stories online about this particular Manuf.'s support I really don't want to send this PC away by post unless I have to. It works OK and has only crashed once and then produced an event report saying it crashed after a debug or something - I don't really understand all this tech stuff.

Sorry for rambling on again.

I will try the windows disk checker from the tools menu. I did try to run it last night from Start - Run but it didn't work. A message flashed up but it went so quick I couldn't read it. Did a restart but no check happened. I'll run the disk checker right now.

Edited by confusedoldlady, 01 May 2010 - 07:52 AM.

confusedoldlady

confusedoldlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
EEK!!!! :)

Tried to run the Diskchecker from the Tools menu and did a re-boot and got a message saying scheduled disk check could not be performed as disk cannot be opened due to recent software installation!! I assume this was the message I got last night also but couldn't read due to it flashing up so quickly.

I went to the add/remove window and thought I'd remove all the programmes I've added this week one by one and removed Easeus Todo Backup first. Then asked for another disk check and re-booted and the disk checker started (phew). So it's checking away now and I'm on hubby's PC typing this.

This is the very thing I'm worried about. The warranty states that if they find your problems are software related they will charge you for any repairs and carriage. :)

I'm tempted to just keep the thing and replace the HDD if/when it fails at my own expense. I'd prefer a WD Caviar Black to the Green in any case. Or is that dumb? Sorry for rambling on but I really don't know what to do.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I'm tempted to just keep the thing and replace the HDD if/when it fails at my own expense. I'd prefer a WD Caviar Black to the Green in any case. Or is that dumb? Sorry for rambling on but I really don't know what to do.

The Blacks have a 5 year warranty while the Green and Blue only have 3 - so I like the blacks too.

The problem with waiting for it to fail is that it will fail when you least want it to.

Perhaps the disk checker will sort it out. Let's hope.

confusedoldlady

confusedoldlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Perhaps the disk checker will sort it out. Let's hope.

Thanks, I'm always hopeful :)

Would you mind having a look at this for me? Means nothing to me :)

Checker results:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is (PC maker's name removed by OP).

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
99328 file records processed.

File verification completed.
55 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

0 EA records processed.

60 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
135144 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
99328 file SDs/SIDs processed.

Cleaning up 318 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 318 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 318 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
17909 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
34636808 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
99312 files processed.

File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
112419925 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

481769471 KB total disk space.
31822512 KB in 74759 files.
53112 KB in 17910 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
214143 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
449679704 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
120442367 total allocation units on disk.
112419926 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 84 01 00 09 6a 01 00 f9 a4 02 00 00 00 00 00 .....j..........
2e 4a 00 00 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .J..<...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Whilst in the Event Viewer I also found three of these, all from yesterday. Do you know what it means?

Log Name: System
Source: Disk
Date: 30/04/2010 18:30:34
Event ID: 11
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk6\DR7

and same as above but with DR6 on the end:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk6\DR6.

Both from yesterday.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Well, the disk itself seems fine. It found some minor "housekeeping" issues and took care of them. The event viewer errors, however, would suggest controller problems - and that is part of the motherboard. :)

Is it still making the noise? If so, with nothing running, do you recognize everything in Task Manager. I would power down and unplug from the wall, then open the side of the case and verify all the cable connections are securely fastened - especially for the drives.

confusedoldlady

confusedoldlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
:)

Thanks for reply (thanks Alzheimer also).

IIRC the case has a seal on the back that says something about the Warranty being affected if removed, but I'll have a look when I turn the PC off.

Next time I buy a PC, instead of just reading reviews of the models I'm interested in, I'll also Google for reviews of their support. I wouldn't have touched this with a barge-pole if I'd read them before purchase. :)

Yes, still making the noise. Can't see anything in Task Manager that looks dodgy.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

IIRC the case has a seal on the back that says something about the Warranty being affected if removed

Those don't mean anything and if they try to say it does, sue the pants off them!!!!! You will win! You have EVERY RIGHT to open your computer case because you have the right to add RAM or another drive for example. Those stickers are scare tactics and mean nothing!!! They are there only to scare people and I personally think it is a scam to get people to spend more money with them.

You also have the obligation and responsibility to keep the interior of the case clean of heat trapping dust and dirt - and to even inspect to see if the case needs cleaning, which I recommend you do monthly, you must open the case.

There are only two scenarios where those stickers are valid. (1) If there are no "user serviceable" parts inside. This would apply to products like the power supply or hard drives. There is no reason a normal user needs to open the case of the power supply, so a sticker there is fine. (2) If the maker provides 100% of after sale service for the life of the warranty. That would include:

FREE monthly inspections for dust and dirt
FREE cleaning, if inspection shows it is needed
FREE labor for hardware upgrades

Edited by Digerati, 01 May 2010 - 11:53 AM.