Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD and pc turning itself off

• Please log in to reply

cmk2222

cmk2222

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yesterday, windows gave me this error (I was not trying to save a file at the time):

Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file c:/windows/system32/config/sysevent.evt. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save the file elsewhere.

Then I got the BSOD with this error listed at the top:
KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

I rebooted with no issue and no more BSOD.

Today, my computer has turned itself off twice for no apparent reason. The first time I wasn't even doing anything on the computer. The second time, I was running firefox and excel.

I am running Windows XP Pro Version 5.1 SP3.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
Hi there, follow the instructions below:

To resolve this issue, first check whether the "Enable write caching on the disk" feature is turned on. If it is turned on, turn it off. To do this, follow these steps.

Note If you turn off the "Enable write caching on the disk" feature, your hard disk may perform more slowly and may affect the overall system performance of your computer. Because of this, you may want to monitor system performance after you follow the steps in this section.

To turn off Enable write caching on the disk, follow these steps:
1:Click Start, and then click My Computer.
2:Right-click the hard disk, and then click Properties.
3:Click the Hardware tab.
4:Click to select the hard disk, and then click Properties.
5:Click the Policies tab.
6:Click to clear the Enable write caching on the disk check box, and then click OK.
7:Click OK to close the Local Disk (C:) Properties dialog box.
Repeat steps 3 through 6 for each hard disk that is installed in your computer.
If these steps resolve the error message, you are finished.

Good luck & please let us know how it goes

cmk2222

cmk2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the advice. I did what you said and have not had any more error messages thus far. Will this also address the computer shutting down on its own? Also, how do I monitor the system performance? There are times already when it seems like my computer is running slow. Even when I am not doing anything on the computer, it sometimes sounds like it is cranking away.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
OK, you should check the hard drive out, to do this:
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.
I use Sandra lite to monitor system performance (its free :) )
http://filehippo.com...ad_sandra_lite/
You may also benefit from a clearout of the hard drive, I woud do this before chkdsk as it doesn`t take long, delete anything that says File Not Found, then run http://www.geekstogo...er-file187.html

cmk2222

cmk2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I installed Sandra lite, but got this message when I tried to run it:
Failed to connect to target computer. SiSoftware Sandra server not started; check SiSoftware Sandra installation.

How do you clear out the hard drive?

FYI, I had a different BSOD message a few months ago and got help on this forum. I had to run the chkdsk command that you are talking about then as well. Is there a reason why I keep having this type of problem?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
Sorry I should have included the link below :) do this & then run the TFC.
I cant say for sure why the problem is recurring, the same problem can be caused
by different things, uninstall the Sandra lite & reinstall it,if it is still not
working let us now & I will find another link, see how things work out & then you
may possibly be able to restore the system/hard drive to the original settings,
http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

FYI, I had a different BSOD message a few months ago and got help on this forum. I had to run the chkdsk command that you are talking about then as well. Is there a reason why I keep having this type of problem?

if you continue getting hard drive problems and have to use chkdsk /r to fix them the hard drive is probably on its last legs...you should be extra diligent in backing up important data to a different hard drive and also burn the data to dvd's...just in case the drive dies completely...
if your HD is getting old and if money isn't a issue...you should clone the old drive to a new drive...

as for the random crashes...
Bad computer memory is one of the three main reasons for random system failures.. the other two are heat (usually caused by fans or heatsinks being blocked with dust) or power issues...
first...unplug case from the wall...open it up and clean out all the dust bunnies...be sure to clean the cpu heatsink fins up real good.....guide is here..

then lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here..

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A:

first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:
or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. click on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....
let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests

go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

Edited by happyrock, 01 May 2010 - 06:03 PM.

cmk2222

cmk2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Update on what I have done:

I was able to download Sandra lite and run it, but I don't understand how to use it to monitor my system performance.

I ran chkdsk /r last night and then restored the system hard drive to its original setting.

My computer is a laptop so I did not take it apart to clean it out.

I got this laptop new in December 2008, so should I be having hard drive problems so soon?

I am still working on running the memtest. Will post results when it is done.

I got Everest and got the attached warning when I ran it. Included in the attachment are the sensor results.

Thanks for all the help!

Attached Files

Edited by cmk2222, 02 May 2010 - 01:23 PM.

cmk2222

cmk2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Here is everest output with sensor data.

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
1:Open the Sandra lite control panel
2:Click on tools
3:Open Enviroment Sensors
4:Choose the display option for readings to be displayed on your monitor
5:Set the parameters for how often you want the readings
The rest is self explanatory

Hope this helps & let us know how its going

Edit: You havn`t posted your cpu details so below is a link showing acceptable cpu temps
http://www.pantherpr...peratures.shtml

Edited by phillpower2, 02 May 2010 - 03:16 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your running to hot...
use everest again...this time click on the + beside motherboard then click on cpu

cmk2222

cmk2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Was in the middle of posting and my laptop turned itself off again. It is definitely hot to the touch. I ran the Sandra software and it was indicating the CPU temperature was around 100. Here is the new output from everest.

Attached Files

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
please post screenshots...it makes it faster to get the info without having to download it
how to post a screenshot...go here...
your cpu should run at a max of 70 or 72 degrees C

Edited by happyrock, 02 May 2010 - 05:29 PM.

cmk2222

cmk2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry about the screenshots.

What do I do to make it run cooler? And should I still run the memtest?

Regarding the hard drive, do you think it should be having problems given that it is < 1 1/2 years old?

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
Finding the cause & fixing high temps is vital! it could be a faulty or clogged cpu fan or degrading thermal paste for example - simple tasks to do - can cost you a lot if you don`t.
No the hd should not be having problems after only 1+1/2 yrs under normal circumstances, (could be the heat)
additional cooling methods can be found here, http://www.vantecusa...uct/pro_list/38
other general advice & information here, http://www.computer-...verheating.html
The memtest happyrock is taking care of for you & good luck