Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Device

• Please log in to reply

nanabentley

nanabentley

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi guys. I have this 8GB usb flash stick that I had loaded some digital pictures of my baby on. Well I ended up losing the copies that were on my computer so I thought I was okay until I went to print them out. The older files that I did 2 years ago are all alright and I can view them but the files that I put on it last april 2009 (pictures were taken from Dec 17, 2007 to April 3, 2009 and were the last ones I put on there) do not seem to be. I cant find anything wrong with them but everytime I try to open one of them windows says I cant view them because either the file is damaged or corrupted. Well I decided to try something. I had another folder with some newer shots and they come up fine so I sent a few of them (one at a time) to the usb drive and then tried to access them. Nope, I got the same results. They were either damaged or corrupted. This cant be true because they were fine right before I sent them there but not when they got there. So them I sent them to a new folder on my desk top and them tried to view them again and they were fine from there. I dont get it and I have tried everything to figure it out. I was hoping someone could help me or maybe knew what might be wrong. That is a year and a half of my babys life (1 1/2 yrs to 3 yrs) and all the pics I have of him during that time. I thought they were safe on the memory stick but I guess not. Please help me. Thank you for your time.................. Colleen :)

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Your problem is reading them directly from your usb device if you copy the pics from your usb device back to your desktop can you see them.

I had friends send me pics directly from their usb device and when i got them i could not see them until I notice that the extension was not .jpg but.jpg.jpg, for some reason they were change when put on the usb device.

So verify the extension of the pictures and make sure they are either.jpg or .bmp ect and not a double of the same extension.

If you cannot see the extension of your pics you have to go in Explorer / Tools / Folder Options and choose the TAB View and unclick the option HIDE EXTENSION OF KNOWN FILE TYPE (something like that).

Not a garantee but worth a try.

nanabentley

nanabentley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you so much for getting back to me. Okay I tried what you said and I checked the extension. It didnt work. It is definetly .JPG. On properties it says JPEG image (.jpg). But here is the weird thing.... I checked the details(under properties of each one) of that set of pictures and they are not there but they are with the previous ones that I put on it. I cant figure this out. Hmmm......... Can you think of anything else that I could try? I am desperate....... Anyways thank you again for your time and help...................... Colleen

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
So all your old pictures you had on them ar ok only the latest ones that do not work,

If you copy your pictures from your USB back to your computer can you read them

nanabentley

nanabentley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Sorry that I havent gotten back with you but it I was out of town. Anyways, No I still cant read them. I tried coping them back to the computer and it didnt work. I also used another laptop and put some new pictures on the usb drive and then closed out of everything and then went back into the usb drive and made sure that I could access the new ones I had just put there and sure enough I could. So then I safely removed hardware and then put it in my acer laptop and tried to access the new ones and I couldnt so I safely removed hardware again from the acer laptop and then reinserted it back into the other one and for some reason I couldnt access them anymore from that one either. I just had to make sure that it wasnt my acer laptop that may have caused it because the pictures that I have been trying to get were saved from my acer laptop and I thought maybe something from the acer caused it. But I dont think so. What do you think? Thanks again for your time................. Colleen

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
HI, There is image repair software out ther. I havn't used any so don't know how effective it may be.

http://www.officerec...overy/index.htm

http://www.downloada...-jpg-files.html

You could try thier free demo to see if it can recover/repair your images

To recover/repair the images you would have to purchase the full version

You could "google". There might be a free utility somewhere.

I wonder if any forum user has tried any image repair software & would post comments

Edited by deggitt, 03 May 2010 - 05:02 AM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you are able to read them on another computer but not on your yours and as soon as you use your USB in your computer then those same ones you were able before are not anymore, it is very puzzling and what is also strange is that you say that the old pictures you had put on a long time ago those are readable.

Do you always put your USB devide on the same USB port? If yes try another USB port (if you have one available).

You can also try in case of a conflict to change the default drive letter that windows assigned to it (from drive F: to drive G:) you will be able to do that from the Disk Management menu (in vista I do not how to get there)(in XP you right click on MY computer and choose Manage).

You can also try the Windows error checking utility to see if it can fix your files. Right click on your USB device from My computer menu and choose Properties then Tools then Error Checking make sure to have clicked on Automatically fix file system errors. It should not take long if your USB device is still in good working condition.

As last rersort to maybe rescuing your USB Device is to reformat it but then you would loose everything that is on it at the moment.

nanabentley

nanabentley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I tried to have windows repair it and it says there are no errors. I also had object rescue digital photo try to repair it and it says there are no errors. I had easy rescue try and got the same thing. If I reformat I would lose these pictures. I dont care about the memory stick just the photos because they are all I have of my baby when he was a baby. I just cant figure this out. Thanks again and I am going to keep trying until someone comes up with the right answer. Whatever that may be. ............ Colleen

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You might want to try this trick with one of the pic, copy it from you usb device on your computer.

Roght click on the image and choose properties then change the extension from .JPEG to .JPG after your image should read (ex: image01.jpg instead of image01.jpeg)

It will proberbly not help you but it is worth the try.

I know your usb device is the last of your worries all that matters are your child pictures, they only grow up once and you do not want to loose those precious souvenirs.