Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Wireless disconnection issue

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I stream a radio show on a website via Shoutcast in Winamp, or sometimes through Oddcast. I'm having problems streaming the show with wireless - i've just moved house and I have a 25m ethernet cable but it's going to be hard setting it up as it has to go a very long way up two twisting staircases to the router, under carpets along ceilings etc.

Anyway what happens is that my connection, whether using Winamp or Oddcast, disconnects after 2 mins or so whenever I try to stream the show with wireless. If i connect the ethernet cable, like i used to easily at my old house, it will stream fine. This also happened at the house prior to that, but again, I could easily connect the ethernet cable there too so would just use that instead.

It doesnt matter which browser I use it's same story. IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari. However, if I'm not trying to stream a show and am just browsing the net or streaming movies/comedy shows etc, there are no disconnection problems - it's only when I try to stream my show through Winamp Shoutcast or Oddcast. Very strange.

Some people have been telling me it may be to do with Google Chrome and Resolving Host issues, yet i've uninstalled that and i'm still getting these problems.

Any help much appreciated, cheers

P.S I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop running Windows XP, not sure what model the router is but I don't think that matters, from what I can tell.

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello Rob,

What Wireless Router do you have?
How far are you away from the router?
And how many walls / metal objects are between you and the router?

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi Friend,
You should always keep the firewall enabled. A misconfigured firewall is a common cause of network problems.

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Router's make and model number is very important. Please mention while submitting any posts.

Try changing the wireless channel number to 7,8.or 10

I doubt May be your router needs firmware update..(Frequent disconnection while using some application is symptom of it)