Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

java

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
on my old compaq since i have reinstalled xp i was wondering how i can get java or adobe to be in on the list that i can select from when opening a program.

i save a file to desktop then i right click mouse and select open with then i select open with and all i have is paint and notepade and a couple of other programs.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Right click on the file you wish to open, then click Open With. If Adobe or Java, does not appear in the list click Browse, then select Adobe Reader or Java from the program list and follow the instructions to Save the file. It will then appear in the list Open With.
Also see this for Tools, Folder Options, File types.
http://pcsupport.abo...efprogramxp.htm

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
when i right click the mouse and i clickopen with java is not their and i cannot find it. all ihave their is note pad.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
40vern-

Adobe is a brand, not a specific product. Common Adobe products include Adobe Reader, which allows users to view PDF files, and Adobe Flash, an internet browser plugin that lets you view certain webpage features like YouTube videos.

Java is a programming language that allows you to manage interactive content within your system. There is no Java 'application', per se, that you run like any other application (such as Microsoft Word or your internet browser). You shouldn't need to open a program with Java; any program that requires the Java language will simply load the code when necessary.

Having said that, what file are you trying to open?

Edited by FNP, 03 May 2010 - 12:15 PM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i tried changing the default program however every time i try to open the file it tries to open with notepad and i get a bounch if letters that dont make sence.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
40vern

What file are you trying to open?

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
it is for work. most of the programs that we use at work are opened with java however my computer tryies to open everything with notepad

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
40vern-

I'd like to look at the file. Right-click on the file and select Properties. This will bring up a box that lists detailed information about the file. I need you to take a screenshot and attach it in your next reply.
  • To take a screenshot press Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key.
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint.
  • Press CTRL+V to paste the contents of the screenshot into the paint workspace.
  • Go to File > Save As.
  • Save the file as a JPEG to your desktop.
Please attach the screenshot to your next reply.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re my post 2. You may not have Adobe Reader on the list but if it is installed in your computer you follow my instructions to click Browse and select it from the programmes. It will then appear on Open With and if you then select "Always open this type of file with this programme" ALL PDF`s will open automatically with Adobe Reader.
For Java solution see this link.

http://www.java.com/...ble_browser.xml

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
on my other computer i do not have to select anything if does thie automatically and this is what i am trying to do on this computer

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Right, that's what Macboatmaster is saying. On the computer where you don't have to select anything, you have the correct programs installed. On the computer where you do have to select something, it's not working because you don't have the correct program installed.

I'd still like to see that screenshot... :)

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
the file that i am opening is my paycheck that is directly deposited into my account so i might not want to post this on the net however i think that i understand what you are saying now.

in a little while i will try and see what is going on with java to see what is going on

thanks for your help

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
40vern-

I understand your concern. However, I'm only trying to find out what kind of file it is (its file extension), not the contents of the file. You won't be displaying any private or sensitive information. But I understand your concern.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
OK i followed the instructions and went into my computer and i changed the programs so that then i select a program java will open up instead of notepad however i still get a window that said window installer and i click OK and nothing happens

Edited by 40vern, 05 May 2010 - 12:04 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try this
http://fixitcenter.s...soft.com/Portal