here's what i've done to try fixing this thus far--
1. i checked through hardware manager on the sound driver--says is working properly
2. went into sound settings and 'digital output only' was unchecked for some reason, so i re-checked that box, also made sure the soundblaster sound card was the default card used for audio..but still no sound even after restart
3. ran clean-up, restarted, still no sound
4. ran ABetterInternet adware remover--was clean
5. ran Avast! virus/worm cleaner--was clean
6. ran ewido security suite 3.0 plus scan--also clean
7. ran AdAare 6 and Spybot--also clean
8. ran PCBugDoctor--fixed shortcuts--still no sound
9. yes, the headset is plugged in securely, no wiggle-room or bad connection apparent
10. defragged all drives that needed it--still no sound...
11. contemplated doing a system restore to before the OpenOffice install, but wasn't sure if that would work as newly installed software seems to stick around even after i restore sometimes...
what could this be? my headset (a SENNHEISER PC150) isn't that old, maybe 6 months...
ANY ASAP help would be MUCH appreciated!
Edited by superfluous, 21 May 2005 - 12:43 PM.