Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wish to overclock to 3ghz to 4ghz

• Please log in to reply

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hey guys!!!!

After the purchase of my new coolermaster V8 :) , I decided that I wanna overclock my cpu to 4ghz

02052010266.jpg

I have:

E8400 Core 2 duo @ 3Ghz
MSI NEO2-fr motherboard
Andyson power supply 500W
4GBs of ram
500GB HDD
Palit 4850 512mb

I hope to have a full tutorial instead of step by step(I have no idea how to start) because I dont wanna do it halfway and then pause for questions? :)

Thanks!!!!! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You're not guaranteed to reach 4Ghz. In fact you are not guaranteed to overclock at all. The heatsink is irrelevant.
This is because processors are made in mass-production and all tested for the highest processor spec. Not all will meet it so they get tested at the specs for lower-end processors. This way, only a handful of chips will be scrapped as opposed to 98% of the batch.

This is primarily how overclocking is achieved to the degrees you've seen. You have no way of knowing the true overclockability of your processor without trying it. However we do not recommend such an option as it will shorten the life of the processor, generate extra heat and cause the hardware to fail prematurely.

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Well, upping the FSB in bios is the way to do it.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Neil Jones: I have quite a good cooler already and I can't overclock? Then I must really be wasting my money to buy such a cooler :)

mkau: ??? No idea wat u mean xD

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Go into BIOS when you start up. Find the FSB (front side bus) Frequency and boost it. FSB x multiplier=clock speed.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I heard there are voltages, and maybe the ram has to increase the voltage too? Any ideas on that?

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
read that overclocking guide at the top of the forum. Your e8400 works exactly the same as a Pentium 4, overclockingwise.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That overclocking guide is rather old, as a FYI.

Basically with your level of knowledge I would not recommend to do any overclocking just yet. Neil is correct in saying that any overclocking is not necessarily possible, each chip is different and will have different capabilities.

The Cooler Master V8 is a good heatsink, and definitely money not wasted in my opinion.

If you really want to get started, do lots of reading on it first. Plenty of results in Google searching. And of course, be warned that your in essence on your own. If anything blows up, well you are voiding any parts warranty in the first place...

In my opinion, if you are really keen, just look to do a small overclock so you can understand the basics of it. The E8400 runs at 3GB stock, so try aiming for 3.2GHz and fully test the machine for stability afterward. Leave it there for a few weeks, constantly checking the machine is running perfectly fine and look for any signs of system unresponsiveness or other errors.

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Yeah, it probably is worth redoing.

That being said, FSB=FSB, whether it's on a Pentium 4 or a Core 2 Duo.