Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DirectX problem

• Please log in to reply

Tuggieman

Tuggieman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well I will try to explain this. I don't exactly know what caused the problem, but recently, my games that require directx9 won't work. The best way I can describe it is...

-When launching one of the games, it turns into full screen and freezes that way until I use task manager to get myself out of it and to see that the application is not responding, forcing me to end the task by force.

Now I have read the previous problems, so I went to run a dxdiag. everything seems fine until I get to the "input" tag, and it just freezes. It may be a clue.

I have 2 games that require directx and they both do the same thing, they launch, go full screen, and just freezes at that point.

Got a diagnosis for my illness doc?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The input section is where you will see your keyboard, mouse and game controllers ect.

So if it freezes when trying to enter this screen i would look at all you input hardware specially your game controllers (if you have any) if it was your keyboard or mouse the problem you would see other problems then just when you want to play a game.

So unplug any game comtrollers you have and try to enter the Input section to see if it does the same after.

What kind of games are they?
Are you sure you have the proper directx version for your games (for XP the latest is version 9C)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW from here and save it to your Desktop:
Double-click VEW.exe
Under Select log to query... select
Application
System
Under select type to list select
Error
Warning

Then Click the radio button for Number of events
Type 5 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.

Notepad will open with the output log....Please cut and paste the Output log in your next reply

Tuggieman

Tuggieman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
alright happyrock here is goes

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows XP in English
Report run at 02/05/2010 3:12:49 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 02/05/2010 3:07:12 PM
Type: error Category: 0
Event: 13 Source: SescLU
LiveUpdate returned a non-critical error. Available content updates may have failed to install.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 02/05/2010 5:38:12 AM
Type: error Category: 101
Event: 1002 Source: Application Hang
Hanging application echoes.exe, version 0.0.0.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 02/05/2010 5:30:31 AM
Hanging application RE5DX9.EXE, version 1.0.0.129, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 02/05/2010 5:24:04 AM
Hanging application DevilMayCry4_DX9.exe, version 1.0.0.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 01/05/2010 5:24:01 PM
Event: 1000 Source: Application Error
Faulting application winamp.exe, version 5.5.7.2830, faulting module ml_bookmarks.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0000128b.

'Application' Log - warning Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 02/05/2010 4:45:40 AM
Type: warning Category: 0
Event: 1 Source: LMS
LMS Service cannot connect to Intel® MEI driver

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/04/2010 9:11:48 AM
Event: 1 Source: LMS
LMS Service cannot connect to Intel® MEI driver

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 28/04/2010 7:36:15 PM
Type: warning Category: 52
Event: 4356 Source: EventSystem
The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber partition:{41E90F3E-56C1-4633-81C3-6E8BAC8BDD70}!new:{6295DF2D-35EE-11D1-8707-00C04FD93327}. CoGetObject returned HRESULT 8000401A.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 2:52:50 PM
Event: 6 Source: Symantec AntiVirus
Could not scan 1 files inside c:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_11\Data1.cab due to extraction errors encountered by the Decomposer Engines.Application has encountered an error.
For more information, please go to: http://www.symantec....ld=symantec_ent

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 2:51:50 PM
Event: 6 Source: Symantec AntiVirus
Could not scan 1 files inside c:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\cf14c0dab22a74a398259106a6747192a585a709 due to extraction errors encountered by the Decomposer Engines.Application has encountered an error.
For more information, please go to: http://www.symantec....ld=symantec_ent

'System' Log - error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 02/05/2010 3:10:00 PM
Event: 5719 Source: NETLOGON
No Domain Controller is available for domain RIDGEWATERLOCAL due to the following: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. . Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 02/05/2010 3:07:11 PM
Event: 29 Source: W32Time
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 02/05/2010 3:07:09 PM
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 02/05/2010 6:03:40 AM
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 59 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 02/05/2010 5:33:40 AM
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 29 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

'System' Log - warning Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 02/05/2010 3:07:14 PM
Event: 262 Source: PlugPlayManager
The service "WTService" vetoed a power event request.

Event: 14 Source: W32Time
The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use as a time source. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 02/05/2010 3:07:09 PM
Event: 14 Source: W32Time
The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use as a time source. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes.

Tuggieman

Tuggieman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

The input section is where you will see your keyboard, mouse and game controllers ect.

So if it freezes when trying to enter this screen i would look at all you input hardware specially your game controllers (if you have any) if it was your keyboard or mouse the problem you would see other problems then just when you want to play a game.

So unplug any game comtrollers you have and try to enter the Input section to see if it does the same after.

What kind of games are they?
Are you sure you have the proper directx version for your games (for XP the latest is version 9C)

I have uninstalled and installed directx9c and uninstalled and installed the games as well, no change. what I have in my input is my mouse, and external hard drive

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
use the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to determine the version of DirectX that is installed on your computer, follow these steps...

1. Click Start...then Run...
2. Type dxdiag... and then click OK...
3. On the System tab, note the version of DirectX displayed on the DirectX Version line.
post a screenshot of that
4. On the DirectX Files tab, check the version information for each DirectX file.
5. When you are finished checking file versions, click Exit...
for how to post a screenshot...go here...

Edited by happyrock, 02 May 2010 - 04:38 PM.

Tuggieman

Tuggieman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
well after looking through the dxdiag again, you showed me what the problem could be

I remember that I installed directx 10 and I thought that it was a mistake, so I installed directx9c again. I guess directx10 is still in there... If this is correct, how do I get rid of it?

I attached an image to this reply, so you should see it, I highlighted 2 areas.

and as for checking the version of the dx files, I don't know what I am supposed to be looking for.

Attached Thumbnails

• screen_print.jpg

Edited by Tuggieman, 02 May 2010 - 09:33 PM.

Tuggieman

Tuggieman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
and one more thing I figured out, while looking where I can find the directx folders, I noticed that there should be a direct input folder in the common files under program files. but when I checked it out it wasnt there. I installed directx9c again, but it wont install direct input in the common files folder.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Check if you have a restore point previous to your installation of version 10, if you have then restore it and after reinstall the latest version 9, might work.

There are tutorials on how to remove it manually but it is more complicated but if you want here is a link to the how to:

<a href="http://www.raymond.c...epair-directx/" >How to Uninstall DirectX and Reinstall to Repair DirectX</a>

Tuggieman

Tuggieman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
did the system restore and it fixed it. but when I did the restore other stuff got messed up. but its not that big. Thanks.