Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window XP Media Issues

• Please log in to reply

tcool1

tcool1

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Guys,

I am running window xp media.....a lot of the programs, even just files, seem to lock up the PC....i will try to open a folder in my documents and it will lock....a SD card will lock it up....trying to open and use IE will lock it up.....firefox works fine but IE will lock up....i have 3 gigs of memory so that should not be an issue?,,,,very frustrating just trying to view and email pictures....
any ideas??? i have scanned and found no virus issues.....

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is this a laptop or tower...give us your system specs...

Bad computer memory is one of the three main reasons for random system failures.. the other two are heat (usually caused by fans or heatsinks being blocked with dust) or power issues...
first...unplug case from the wall...open it up and clean out all the dust bunnies...be sure to clean the cpu heatsink fins up real good.....guide is here..

then lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here..

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A:

first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:
or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. click on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....
let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests

go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

tcool1

tcool1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
it is a laptop...i just went ino my computer to get the specs and it would not let me close the program!!!!..it is a toshiba laptop satellite....3 gigsof memory (a new 2 gig chip withinthe last month)....intel [email protected] xp media.....serv pack 3...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

3 gigsof memory (a new 2 gig chip withinthe last month)

Did the lockups start right after installing the new memory?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we also need the make and model number...its on the case somewhere...that way we can see what the mobo will support in the way of ram

tcool1

tcool1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
and maybe i am seriously PC challenged but i could not download and run the memory program!!!

tcool1

tcool1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
model P-105 S6084 Toshiba...and it was locking before the new memory...i actually thought the new mem would help....

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have to download memtest then burn it to a cd then put the cd in the cd drive then reboot the computer and it will start running all by itself ...
you still need to get us a screenshot of everest...
if you find these instructions to difficult then ask one of your friends to help you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Don't forget the boot sequence in bios may need to be changed so that the cdrom is the first boot device. If you don't know how let Happyrock know and he can instruct you on how to do that.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Don't forget the boot sequence in bios may need to be changed so that the cdrom is the first boot device. If you don't know how let Happyrock know and he can instruct you on how to do that.

I will be offline in about a hour...probably won't be back on today

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem i will assist if need be. :)