Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Replaceing an Old hard drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

harritan

harritan

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi,

two days ago i brought a 640gb hardrive to replace my old one since my computer kept crashing and the hard drive was clicking and i was told that could be a sign it was about to fail.
I installed the new harddrive then partitioned it assuming that i would be able to simply drag and drop everything on it into the new one and simply reboot using the new hardrive.

This obviously didnt work and ive spent the past 30 hours trying to do this "simple" job. Ive tried a program called teracopy but it wouldnt copy over every file. I then tried a program called Norton Ghost which claimed to be able to clone the exact data onto the new drive, once it completed the process of cloneing i noticed it didnt transfer over about 2gbs of data, nevertheless i disconnected the old hardrive and attemtped to boot using my new one, it kept coming up with an error "autochk program not found skipping autocheck". I then couldnt acces my computer without this error or somthing telling me to insert a repair cd with the old hardrive or the new one.
I reconnected my old hardrive put in my windows 7 cd and clicked repair my computer, this restored my computer and i can now log on again.

Under computer i can see the new hardrive Local Disk E:

I have tried formatiing but it comes with the error "windows cannot complete the format"

In disk managment i cannot delete the volume it comes with the error "windows cannot delete the active system partition on this disk".

I am running windows 7.

Can somebody help me? all i need to do is transfer everything i have on my C: drive onto my new hard drive and then convert that back into a C: drive.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You cannot do this from within Windows. You need something from outside Windows (such as Norton Ghost or Acronis) to do the transfer. Copying a bunch of files from one drive to another isn't going to work.

Norton Ghost tends to make a pigs ear of a task like this if you use the program from within Windows. You'll do far better to boot off the Ghost CD and use the DOS based version of Ghost to do the drive transfer. There should also be far more than 2Gbs transferred as well.

harritan

harritan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

You cannot do this from within Windows. You need something from outside Windows (such as Norton Ghost or Acronis) to do the transfer. Copying a bunch of files from one drive to another isn't going to work.

Norton Ghost tends to make a pigs ear of a task like this if you use the program from within Windows. You'll do far better to boot off the Ghost CD and use the DOS based version of Ghost to do the drive transfer. There should also be far more than 2Gbs transferred as well.

it transferd everything but 2gbs "i noticed it didnt transfer over about 2gbs of data"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like you did a data transfer and not a Disk copy. Also unless you used the newest Ghost it probably does not work well with Win 7.
When I did my wife's new system I used HDClone which worked really well. The only thing is it copies exactly the partition so you would then have to expand the partition out to the full drive.
Just as a personal question why not just reinstall your OS and all programs then just copy the data files over you need?

harritan

harritan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Sounds like you did a data transfer and not a Disk copy. Also unless you used the newest Ghost it probably does not work well with Win 7.
When I did my wife's new system I used HDClone which worked really well. The only thing is it copies exactly the partition so you would then have to expand the partition out to the full drive.
Just as a personal question why not just reinstall your OS and all programs then just copy the data files over you need?

i have alot of stuff i need to keep, lots of revision stuff for exams and programs that i have installed but packed the disks away.
I didnt do a data transfer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ghost has two options when you do a copy. Files and Disk copy. If original hd is faulty it may notbe able to access the 2 gigs of info and that may be causing the problem.

harritan

harritan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok ive managed to do it so the new hardrive boots on its own but after i login it hbas a loading message were it usually says logging it says "preparing background" and then once logged in the screen is just blank blue with "windows 7" in the bottom right hand corner. I can see the whtie mouse cursor. if i do ctrl alt delete then i can open task manager and run explorer, this makes my taskbar appear and some desktop icons (but the taskbar looks like the windows 98 one) and a message appears i nthe bottom right saying somthing about a temporary profile, i cannot run regedit.

Edited by harritan, 02 May 2010 - 03:35 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a Win 7 installation disk?