Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup Errors with Windows 98

• Please log in to reply

jonesfamily

jonesfamily

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I get a startup error that involves a password that prevents me from getting onto certain internet websites. I am attaching a word document that appears when I try to log on.

Thanks

Attached Files

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that error should not prevent you from getting on websites...well, unless your system depends on a domain DNS server...that is client for microsoft networking with an error stating that the system cannot find a domain name server.

Is this computer a member of domain?

jonesfamily

jonesfamily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Couple more questions:

1) Would it be best to go into the control panel and set a password?

2) What could be causing me to NOT be able to access certain website like YAHOO? For example, I can open the website, but when I try to perform a search on any topic I get an error. I have attached the error I get as well

3) Why is it that some buttons that you normally can click on work and others don't? For example my internet banking website lets me enter the user name and password, but the button to click that allows me to access my information is not there and when I click in that space it is totally dead.

I appreciate any assistance, I am past frustration with these problems and can't buy a new system anytime soon.

Thanks!

PS: I can't even add "emoticons" to my post. These are things I seem to be dealing with.

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you did not answer my question on domain.

Seems like you have a combination of issues,

What version of IE do you have

jonesfamily

jonesfamily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I don't know the answer to the question about my domain, but I tried to stop my pc from asking for a password. I tried to change the password and I got an error that said"

Unable to change the password for Microsoft Networking because of the following error: The domain controller for this domain cannot be found.

Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
What Gerryf is asking is this computer hooked up to a network
by the look of the start up screen ( your 1st pic) it wants to log on to a netwok(domain). Is this a work or home computer? If it is a home computer
did you buy it from work or at a sale?

jonesfamily

jonesfamily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It is a home PC. It is not hooked up to a Network or LAN.
It is a gateway computer that I bought strait from the store.
I didn't seem to start having all these problems until I got virus protection.

Any help that can be provided is welcome.

Thanks!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Are you saying that when you start your computer it has always asked for a password ? with the name Jones family at the top password in the middle and conway at the bottom?

Sorry to keep on asking what might seem like the same Question but 2 + 2 is not adding up to 4. The way your computer starts up is the way computers connect to a Domain Network. So if this is true and it has always started like this then we need to get rid of the network connection problem and that should fix your other problems.

OR did someone change things and it started to happen like this?

jonesfamily

jonesfamily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Someone did something to make is start asking for a password.

When I first got the PC it would ask for a password. I found that unnecessary and was able to stop it somehow. I really can't remember.

Now since getting cable modem internet access the system asks a password. It could be something the cable guy did when he tried to get things up and running.

Before I got cable modem I wasn't able to get into websites like http://www.ureach.com
I type in what I know is my username and password and hit enter and it takes me back to the initial screen you get when you very first enter the website when no cookies are set up.

Some websites that I try to enter I get a javascript error as well. There is alot of stuff going wrong with my pc. I would appreciate any assistance that can be given.

Thanks

jonesfamily

jonesfamily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
My system didn't always ask goto CONWAY as the domain either. That is something new that has popped up as well.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Okay, stab in the dark here..

Take a look on your desktop.. Is there a Network Neighbourhood or My Network Places icon on it??

If there is, right click on it and select "properties".. Now, change the logon requirement from "Client for Microsoft Networks" to "Windows Logon"..

Apply and okay out.. Reboot..

The logon may come up once more.. click OKAY.. Do NOT "x" out or "cancel"..

Murray

xorcist211

xorcist211

• Pip
  • 2 posts
How can I bypass the password to check out my bios????

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Please do not hijack someone else's thread.. You would be better served IF you started your own..

Who put the password on BIOS?? If it wasn't you, then someone must have had a reason to put it there!!

Murray

jonesfamily

jonesfamily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Murry,

I did what you suggested and the password screen reappeared. I did as you said and X'd out of it. Rebooted as well. We'll see how it goes. I still seem to be having issues with getting onto certain areas of the web. Just now I got a
Javascript error when trying to enter a website. I wonder if I need to have something disabled with my virus protection.

I am attaching a word document with a screen shot of the error I get.

Thanks for your assistance!

Attached Files

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
I said DO NOT "x" out or "cancel".. All you do is click "okay" !!!!!

Murray