Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AIW X800 XT Video Card Driver Issue

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Good day everyone,

I have an "All In Wonder X800 XT" AGP video card. It's capable of running at 8x AGP speed but I have it set to 4x since that's the highest speed my motherboard will support. For the record my "Asus TUV4X" motherboard doesn't have any onboard video. I placed the card in the AGP slot, installed Win XP SP3, installed my motherboard's "VIA 4-1" drivers, and than installed my video cards drivers. In any case my computer will freeze at the oddest times while I'm using it. Sometimes it won't just freeze it'll actually reboot. When I'm lucky I get to see the following error coming from my video card's Catalyst Control Center that reads:

"VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands", which then asks me if I want to send an error report to ATI.

I've tried everything under the sun to find out what exactly is going on. But can't come up with a concrete solution. It seems as if many people are having the same issue with various video cards. The only half-fix I found was the following by someone on a web search I made.

Posted by: lanselot
Source: http://www.hardware-....ideo&offset=20

This is my first post. The reason is to let you guys know the way to solve this problem.

Very simple.

Go to Control Panel-System-Hardware-Device manager.
Under System Devices, find VIA CPU to AGP2.0/3.0Controller,
right click to choose Update Driver.
Then choose "No,not this time", click next,
choose "Install from a list or sepcfic location", click next, choose "Don't search...", click next,
select "PCI standard PCi to PCI bridge",click next.
Finally, restart.

That solution fixes the freezes but causes the fps to slow down when viewing video. This must be because it stops using AGP or something of the sort and relies on the PCI southbridge if that makes any sense? I know this must be a driver issue. I've tried the drivers released around the time my video card was manufactured. Which I found on oldapps.com. But the oldest and some of the newest won't work.

Can anyone help? I've been trying to fix this for a month!!!!!!!!

Edited by superstar, 02 May 2010 - 07:14 PM.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
What kind of chipset is onboard?

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
FROM EVEREST HOME EDITION:

--------[ Chipset ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ North Bridge: VIA VT82C694T Apollo Pro133T ]

North Bridge Properties:
North Bridge VIA VT82C694T Apollo Pro133T
Tualatin CPU Supported

Memory Slots:
DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (SDRAM)
DRAM Slot #2 512 MB (SDRAM)

AGP Controller:
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Disabled
AGP Device ATI Radeon X800 (R420)
AGP Aperture Size 128 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
Fast-Write Not Supported
Side Band Addressing Supported, Disabled

Chipset Manufacturer:
Company Name VIA Technologies, Inc.
Product Information http://www.via.com.t...oducts/chipsets
Driver Download http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Problems & Suggestions:
Problem AGP is disabled. This may cause performance penalty.

-------------------------------------------------------

Of course the AGP is disabled, because even though the card is connected in the AGP slot it's using that "Standard Pci To Pci Bridge" driver I spoke about in my first post. So I guess it's acting like a PCI card. Here's some SOUTHBRIDGE information from my mobo manual:

Southbridge System Chipset: VIA VT82C686B PCI-to-ISA bridge with PCI Super I/O integrated peripheral controller supports UltraDMA/100/66/33 for burst mode data transfer rates of up to 100MB/sec, and USB controller with root hub for four USB ports.

Edited by superstar, 02 May 2010 - 07:22 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
OK, sometimes with NVIDIA chipsets they have "issues" with ATI cards.

Is your BIOS up to date?

LoMaX327

LoMaX327

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I have an ATI Radeonx800 pro, and was having similar issues a while back. In the catalyst control center, I found I had to disable smartGART, as it was automatically tweaking my video settings from what I had set them to. To be clear, not sure if this is your issue, but it is something to try.

Edited by LoMaX327, 03 May 2010 - 08:14 PM.