Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 3G modems - reliable?

• Please log in to reply

builttospill

builttospill

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am working in a foreign country with an office where internet service is not exactly ubiquitous. I am looking into options for accessing the internet and updating our database from the field.

The major local cell carrier, Safaricom, offers 3G internet connection via a USB modem. I believe the USB modem they use is a Huawei E220.

I have used one on my personal laptop while I've been here and have been pleased, but that's only been for about 2 weeks. I'm concerned about longevity of the modem and reliability. Do these modems have a long life-span? And do they tend to be buggy or have intermittent problems that the staff will have to diagnose and deal with? I'm debating a few options, so this may make or break the decision one way or the other.

The staff that I am working with are not very computer literate, so troubleshooting problems will not work well--therefore reliability is key. Anyone seen any in-depth reviews (I couldn't find any using google), or have any experience with these devices?

They are running various versions of Windows (XP, Vista, 7) on a range of laptops.

Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've got a few UTStarcom modems through verizon and they've all worked fine for me for the past 2 years. we had one that needed to be replaced, but that tends to be the case when you run them over with a car.