Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't map drive - netlogon service not started

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

We have several computers, all part of a workgroup, that have mapped drives back to a shared folder on another box. Two of the computers can't connect to the mapped drive. I disconnected the mapped drive on one of the two PCs and tried to reconnect, but received an error message stating that the machine tried to map the drive but couldn't becuase the netlogon service wasn't running. I tried to start the service but it stopped immediately. I checked the event viewer and found an entry for that service. The message there stated that the netlogon service wasn't required because this computer is part of a workgroup and not a domain. Since it's a workgroup environment the service was stopped. I checked a working machine and found the service to be down as well so I know that service isn't required to make the connection. What I can't figure out though, is why I'm getting this message. I can't figure out why the computer thinks it needs this service if it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements