Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to change OwnerMachineName

• Please log in to reply

pcx721

pcx721

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I purchased a Laptop yesterday and I've already changed the Computer Name for myself from the advanced setting.But I found that whenever I install any new software, it still automatically register to another name instead of mind. I tried to go to regedit to delete all the previous owner's name which is "STEVEN-PC". But when it comes to OwnerMachineName, it doesn't let me change or delete it. The OS is Windows7 Home Premium 32bit. Can anybody help me to solve this problem? Many Thanks :)

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, Is this what you need?

http://www.howtogeek...ner-in-windows/

Dwight

pcx721

pcx721

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Dwight,
Thanks for your reply. My problem is shown on the attachment.
The "OwnerMachineName" cannot be changed. Thanks again.
Regedit.png

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
I found this on the same page under comments, I don't know anything about this program but you can
check it out.

change Owner v1.0
http://www.vista4beg...om/Change-Owner

Sorry that did not work for you.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight, 03 May 2010 - 07:42 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
First off, why are you changing it in the registry? Is it giving you an error when you try to change the string value?

pcx721

pcx721

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Dwight for your endeavour to help me.

Hi Diabillic, Please refer to my posted question. The Owner's name is from the previous owner so I have to replace it, but the system won't allow me. Thanks

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Please refer to my question. What is the error your getting? What exactly does it say..

Nedro

Nedro

• Pip
  • 1 posts

How to change OwnerMachineName

pcx721 - I had the same problem with my Win7 Pro HP Desktop... This is what worked for me

Note 1: You will have to be on an account with Admiinistrator Privledges
Note 2: I found two locations that needed to be changed

1 - Open regedit.exe

2 - On the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Key right click and select "Find..." and enter OwnerMachinName
    (OwnerM worked for me)

The Key "ServiceData" should be selected in the left pane

3 - In order to change the text of OwnerMachineName it is first required to take ownership of the ServiceData Key

a - Right Click the "ServiceData" key in the Left Pane
  b - Select "Permissions..."
  c - Select "Advanced"
  d - Click the "Owner" Tab. The Owner should be TrustedInstaller
  e - Go back to the "Permissions" Tab
  f - If You are not shown in the list, you will have to add yourself
      - Click "Add..."
      - Enter your User Name (this must have Administrator Privledges) & Click "Check Names"
        It should change to ComputerName\UserName if found. Click "OK"
      - At this point if you can select "Full Control" at the top skip to step 3g
      - In my case I had to first Select Only "Read Control"
   g - Now Click the "Owner" Tab. Probably the only one in the Name Box will be ComputerName\Administrator
       - Add your name to the list by clicking "Other users or groups..."
       - Enter your User Name & click "Check Names". It sould change to ComputerName\UserName.
         Click "OK"
   h - Now that your name is in the "Change owner to:" box, click your name and "Apply"
       The "Current owner:" box should now contain your UserNmae (ComputerName\UserName). Click "OK"
   i - Select you Name in the "Group or user names:" box and if not already set to "Full Control", click the
       "Full Control" Allow check box and click " Apply". If all went well click "OK"
   j - You should now be able to modify the "OwnerMachineName" text

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changing the "Owner" for the ServiceData" key is a little tricky (You have to know the secret hand shake)

1 - Right Click the "ServiceData" key in the Left Pane & select "Permissions..."

2 - Select "Advanced"

3 - Click the "Owner" Tab. You will notice that "TrustedInstaller" is not in the list

4 - Click "Other users or grooups..."

5 - Here is the Secret Hand Shake - In the Text Box enter "NT Service\TrustedInstaller" and click "Check Name"
    It sould change to TrustedInstaller. Click "OK". TrustedInstaller" shoud now be in the list

6 - Select "TrustedInstaller" and click "Apply". This should change the Owner back to "TrustedInstaller"

7 - Click OK.

8 - In the "Permissions for ServiceData" window now click "OK" and you are done with changing this key.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeat the above steps to change the Text of the Second Key for OwnerMachineName & Your Done!