Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows wont boot up after Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

DashnSlash

DashnSlash

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just upgraded my motherboard and CPU to ASUS P4P800 SE and P4 3.0 GHz and when i turned my system back on it got through POST then the system reboot. I had this problem before but it was caused by my RAM (because of overclocking) but i am now using new RAM. I think it may be caused by my PSU (it is a generic 350W made by CYBERZONE i think) or some wrong setting in my BIOS would really love some help not a pro on BIOs settings so dont know if i made a mistake in it but i tried the factory settings and still didnt work.

PSU specs:
Input 115V/230V AC 50/60Hz
6A/4A
output: 350 W MAX
+5V 23A +3.3V 20A
+12V 12A -12V 1A
+5VSB 2A -5V 1A

I have a DVD burner, 1 HDD, and a Video Card also connected to the PSU.

Advertisements

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
new hardware=reload os, this is usually the problem. the os isnt used to the new hardware. In bios, go to CMOS and make sure the hd reads on primary master. then go to BIOS and make sure the boot order is 1. floppy 2. cd drive, and 3. hard drive. then put in the os cd and reboot (make sure you save the bios). The cd should walk you through whatever and get you in.

Nixx

DashnSlash

DashnSlash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry forgot to put this in my previous post. I tried to re install windows but for some reason i get to about 70% then get an error "cannot copy iis.dll"

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
OOoooo, this could turn out not good. Im thinking hd problem but hopefully im wrong. lets see if one of the more experienced people respond.

Nixx

DashnSlash

DashnSlash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I hope not this is a new HD just got this around christmas made i just abuse HD some how my the one i had before only lasted a year

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You had me a little confused there with the terminology re-install. Based on your description you're actually trying a clean install even if it might be a second ,third or whatever time around. Simply put. your CD is dirty or scratched or your CDROM drive is having some difficulty reading it for whatever reason. If you have a DVD drive, try using that as the optics are usually better. You can also try cleaning your current drive or cleaning the CD.

:tazz:

edit: little more clarification after reading the above posts. If you are trying to use an existing HDD with a good OS installation on it, you need to do a repair install just to laod your new drivers. And if thats the case you might have to make a slipstreamed CD if your current CD is pre SP1 or SP2 and your current OS is post SP1 or SP2. Your slipstreamed CD has to be at least the existing OS or one or two steps better. You should also do this from the repair console. there another way to backdoor this thing but I'd recommend you do a clean install and bite the bullet now rather than a couple of months from now.
;)

Edited by Rockster2U, 21 May 2005 - 01:51 PM.

DashnSlash

DashnSlash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you tried a cleaner disc to use to install windows and it worked THX :tazz: