Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC wouldn't boot. No beep or video.

• Please log in to reply

mustacheGUY

mustacheGUY

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
CPU: AMD|A64 X2 4000+ 2.1G AM2 65N R
Memory: 1Gx2|CORSAIR VS2GBKIT667D2 R
Motherboard: BIOSTAR NF4UAM2G nForce4 Ultra

Read this board and saw some tips on how to get it possibly to start up again. Checked the HDD out on a friends comp and it booted up. So I checked out the RAM sticks and they weren't doing anything. Removed and reconnected the processor, still no dice. Finally I read about removing the CMOS battery and seeing if that gets it to boot, it did. Went to the store and bought a new battery. Replaced it, got it to boot, and went into the BIOS setup to change the TIME and DATE since they had reverted. Changed it to the current and hit exit and save and the comp wouldn't boot and started acting like it was originally. GRRRR

So I again removed the battery, go it to boot again, this time i didn't go into setup and change anything and everything is running currently. I guess my question is; what could be causing this? Is my mobo dying on me?

My comp's case is a RAIDMAX|ATX-612WBP 500W BK RT

Usually on the door there are 3 horizontal light strips that run blue, but when this problem happens the middle one goes red. Could that be an indicator of something bad?

After running it since getting it to boot up for about 4 days it kept getting this write failure error, then it blue screened. When I shut it down it wouldn't boot up again. Removed the battery and it booted. Something is fishy.

Here is the blue screen error report readout

C:\DOCUME~1\Craig\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd4ef.dir00\Mini 123105-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Craig\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd4ef.dir00\sysd ata.xml

BCCode : 1000007e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : BA4FFCB8
BCP4 : BA4FF9B4 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

I'm not sure if these things are even related but I figured I'd put it up here just in case.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Possible causes for no beeps and no video when you try to start a pc is:

Motherboard malfunction.
Processor malfunction
Power Supply Unit malfunction
Sometimes the hard drive.

Sinced sometimes you are able to boot your system we can cross off the motherboard and the processor as the reason your not able to boot.

The hard drive even if rare can cause a system to not start at all.

Probable cause is your Power Supply Unit, if it does not supply the power needed all the time it could explain why sometimes it boots and why sometimes it doesn't. When you start everything draws power so your BIOS can check all your hardware and if your PSU does not deliver enough power all the time on some times it will not start at all while the other it will. So it is not burned just deficient in its power delivery.

Try to borrow another PSU and try it in your system to see if you have the same problem.

As for changing the date in your BIOS I really do not think that would stop your PC from booting it was just badluck. You must have changed your date and time back since then because Windows first should have told you that the dates were not ok (usually at XP boot).

Hope this will help resolve your problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Replaced it, got it to boot, and went into the BIOS setup to change the TIME and DATE since they had reverted. Changed it to the current and hit exit and save and the comp wouldn't boot and started acting like it was originally. GRRRR

This could also be down to a bad/corrupt bios chip! Have you cleared the CMOS using the method stated in the MB manual, also in some cases but I don`t think so in yours a faulty CMOS battery holder can cause problems, instructions for clearing the CMOS are below: good luck

JCMOS1: Clear CMOS Header
By placing the jumper on pin2-3, it allows user to restore the BIOS safe setting
and the CMOS data, please carefully follow the procedures to avoid damaging
the motherboard.

Pin 1-2 Close:
Normal Operation (default).

Pin 2-3 Close:
Clear CMOS data.
※ Clear CMOS Procedures:
1. Remove AC power line.
2. Set the jumper to “Pin 2-3 close”.
3. Wait for five seconds.
4. Set the jumper to “Pin 1-2 close”.
5. Power on the AC.
6. Reset your desired password or clear the CMOS data.