Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think Firefox is crashing my Windows 7 system

• Please log in to reply

therobj

therobj

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Have you guys heard of this happening lately? I originally thought it was a hardware problem but i left the machine on today for a while without FF open and it didn't crash at all. I had been backing up the system for hours previously to this and it had been crashing around every 20 mins or so. quite annoying.

I checked the compatibility of FF and it said it was windows xp 2 so uninstalled and downloaded the latest version only for it to say the same thing. is this usual or should it say Windows 7?

If you have any idea's of a fix it would be great if you could help. My computer time is currently filled with the constant fear that my computer will restart at any minute....Oh, I should mention, it restarts rather than crashes.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Firefox has no compatibility issues under 7, much older ones probably will. It doesn't need compatibility mode.

Edited by Neil Jones, 04 May 2010 - 03:05 PM.

Lister192065

Lister192065

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Download WhoCrashed
Click on the file and run it
Setup the following options during the installation of the program
check in accept
Check the don't create a start menu folder
Check create a desktop icon
Then install
When done make sure there to check "launch whocrashed" and click finish
Click Analyze
The program will want to download the debugger and install it,say yes
WhoCrashed will create report
You will have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

therobj

therobj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
thanks. I have analysed a few times with that programme and every time it tells me that no valid crash dumps have been found. does this mean it is definitely a hardware problem?

joe420

joe420

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been having the same problem for awhile now , I also cannot be sure it's a hardware problem , I'm wondering if it could have something to do with flash or Java on certain websites .

I've done some hardware troubleshooting , did some memory tests , some video tests
everything seems to come out clean .. However .. the windows 7 performance calculator also crashes my pc
but I can run just cause 2 , splinter cell conviction all on the highest settings and smooth as can be

could it be a processor problem ?
I ran the AMD Overdrive and did some stress tests those all run clean as does 3D Mark .

I also thought maybe it was a PSU problem since this is a newly built pc , but there is no sure way to test that without buying a multimeter first .

in conclusion ... I haven't got the slightest idea What the... is going on but I'm narrowing it it down to
Firefox , my processor being faulty , or my PSU . but if others are having the same problem then it can't be hardware IMO that's just to weird

@therobj
what are your hardware specs ? and do you notice it happens more on sites with video adverts
or that are running something with flash or java aplets ?
seems mine likes to crash trying to load sites with those features but could be just coincidence

Video sites like the msn news videos , everytime I click one it says the video does not exists ,
I found it odd when this started happening to almost EVERY video link I clicked from there front page
could very well be them , but I find it odd that every front page news story video no longer exists ...
you get this also ? .... same with some web pages also ... might not have anything to do with the crash problem at all , just one more strange thing that's been happening .

maybe a virus or spyware ?
I run AVAST and anti maleware , but how reliable are they really , surely not 100%
do you have a legit copy of windows 7 or did you download it ?