Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a computer

• Please log in to reply

kkal27

kkal27

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am building a new computer for myself and I hitting problems. The parts I bought were meant to run Windows 7 64 bit. The way I was installing Windows 7 was going through and upgrade version, the upgrade being Windows XP 32 bit Home edition to Windows 7 professional 64 bit. To my understanding off of microsoft's website I could do that. I installed Windows XP no problem, activated the code and went on to install Windows 7. The windows 7 install seems to go fine and I get to the desktop. This is where I start hitting problems.

I have a computer program that will not install properly saying I might have an error on my HD or my disc. I get Bluesceen errors every so often, sometimes when I'm trying to install something or sometimes when it sits idle. I've tried updates and that only seems to make the problem worse.

I have done some troubleshooting on my own. I first made sure my BIOS settings where set to ACHI for my sata HD and that the proper drivers where installed during the XP setup. Second I've tried two other HDs (old IDEs) I had lying around to see if my new HD was corrupted.

I've swapped out the motherboard thinking that it might be bad but I'm still having the same problems.

I guess a couple questions I should ask.
Can I actually install Windows 7 upgrade from my XP software doing a clean install or do I need to invest in Windows 7 OEM software?
What direction do I need to go at for troubleshooting?

I've been fighting these problems for about a month now...any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I may be wrong but to the best of my knowledge you can do a fresh install with an upgrede version of Windows 7

Take from the Windwos 7 forum:
http://www.sevenforu...-7-version.html

How to Do a Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

Remember that you need a valid qualifying previous version of Windows to use a Upgrade Windows 7, and to stop using (or uninstall) the qualifying OS while you have the upgrade installed. Microsoft only made doing a clean install from a upgrade Windows 7 possible to make it more convenient so you do not have to reinstall both the old Windows version (ex: Vista) and upgrade to Windows 7 everytime you needed or wanted to reinstall.

If you do not have a valid qualifying previous version of Windows, then you are violating the terms of Microsoft's Windows 7 End User License Agreement and could get your product key number invalidated by Microsoft. Plus, it is considered illegal.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

welcome to Geeks.

You should download and follow the step by step instruction from http://windows.micro...xp-to-windows-7.

As it is a clean install you need to back up any data you want to keep as your hard drive is completely wiped..