Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Defrag in XP

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

• PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
When I do a defrag I see two very colorful bars, showing the status of my C-drive now (before) and projected (after) defragging. I suppose they tell you something, but I can't figure out what.

Is there really useful information there? How does one interpret those bars?

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
batpark,

The colored bars indicate a representation of how data is stored on your hard drive. To put it simple, the goal of a disk defragmenter is to clear out the red colored indicators, or fragmented data, hence the name of the utility Disk defragmenter. Blue indicators represent data stored on your hard drive, such as files and programs. Green indicators represent system files that don't move. White indicators represent free space on your hard drive. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you are using the XP built in defrag program there should be a button at the bottom of the window that says something like show details.
If you click that then a window will pop up that tells you what every color and box means.

batpark

batpark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
Thank you both. ...wdc