Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 4 games $1000, 1 4 internet/study $500.

• Please log in to reply

Carl P

Carl P

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey guys I've been loking at different builds for PC's but still don't have any good ideas for the right motherboards CPU's, GPU's, ram and other hardware/software. I am looking to build one machine soley for online gaming, this needs to run the best and newest titles at high res for under $1100. The other PC needs to handle multiple websites and windows constantly as it will be used for the internet (browsing youtube and the likes) and for my childrens study, this unit i want to build for under $500. I think I could build these two PC's but it would be nice to get some different points of view in respect to what parts for what PC I will need to focus on for the build. Since they are being used for different things they would need (I assume) different hardware stats. I don't want to buy a motherboard and have it not work with the other equipment and vis versa. If anyone has built a unit for around this price and is getting great results from the hardware I would love to know what you are using from A to Z. I would also like to know if I could use a duel core for the gaming system as it will only be for this instead of a quad as it will not be used (I guess that you don't need more that one CPU for a game) for anything else, but also have the ability to go quad in the future for upgrades, this would save me some money, also overclocking the CPU, GPU, can you or do you overclock both for games. I originally had the gaming PC tagged at $500 but after some searching on the web I can see that for around $1100 I can get a PC that will run the games online extremely well, again if anyone has done a build for gaming in the last month or two for the same price, round abouts, a parts list and pricing list would be appreciated. Tankyou for reading, Carl.

Edited by Carl P, 04 May 2010 - 09:31 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I am looking to build one machine soley for online gaming, this needs to run the best and newest titles at high res for under $500

not gonna happen...
look up the games you want to play and see what they recommend for the system specs...not the minimum specs...

Carl P

Carl P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks it didn't take me long to see the prices adding up($600 for just the cpu and mobo), so i am now aware that $1000 I think will be the min for a great gaming PC as long as that doesn't include the monitor yet, once the PC is running the way it should then I will worry about the lcd. If you have any advice on motherboards in particular the giga versus the asus, I have heard the asus don't have very much tech support. It would be good if someone could just say "here's the list, this is the price and it will kick [bleep]", but then i'll build it and find out there are too many try hards on the net that don't know what they are on about and $1000 is gone on crap. I will do some sound research over the next month on how it all works and when prices are at their best, cheers, Carl.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the tech report system building guide here does a good job reviewing components...then they have several categories of systems build guides for $500 and 1 for $1000 then one for Double-Stuff Workstation for those with large fat wallets with no wife to hold you back... :)
while I don't always agree with their choice of parts they are a good place to start for anyone that doesn't have 100 hours or so of free time to try and get up to speed in all the components necessary to put together a great BALANCED system...

Edited by happyrock, 04 May 2010 - 03:16 PM.

Carl P

Carl P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for that, just to get my feet wet I might start with the budget i3 setup listed

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
great ...let us know how it turns out... :)

Carl P

Carl P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm not sure about the motherboard they have suited for the i3 in the build, it's a G.B GA-h55-usb3, I think it is a micro, I would prefer to go full size as i have no room problems and would enjoy the extras you get having the full size version. Do you have any sugestions on what would be a good mobo for the i3 540 with the ability for 1333ddr3 ram and x8 x8 crossfire for future upgrade. Also want to try my luck with OC'ing, so a board that can get me through that easy would help too.I am new to building so please excuse me if anything is wrong with what I have written.

Edited by Carl P, 13 May 2010 - 03:13 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
that GA-H55-USB3 mobo is a standard ATX board (full size)

Edited by happyrock, 13 May 2010 - 06:01 PM.

Carl P

Carl P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Finally built a pc (two now), was able get a h55 setup for $600, without monitor. Not bad I think, Just spent about $900 on my p55 i5 750 build with a GTX 460 1 gb. Am having alot of trouble with it, I have posted in the system building section if you can help.