Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

malware removal but i can't d/l using a non-administrator account

• Please log in to reply

kbro

kbro

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have been hijacked by Virus Protector and cannot download malware bytes since I can only access my computer through the other user account which is not the administrator. Is there a way to download to a flash drive or can i somehow change the administrator?? setting to allow the download??? Please help, any advice greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
kbro-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I assume you're looking at the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. This will help you disinfect the majority of malicious software from your system.

Are you the only person who uses the computer, or is there someone else who would know the Administrator password?

Edited by FNP, 03 May 2010 - 01:43 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...you can download the programs on another machine and transfer/install them using a flash drive... :)

If you require help in removing the infection, please follow FNP's instructions.

kbro

kbro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did not forget the password, I cant access the main user administrator account due to the virus disabling the desktop. I can only access the non-admin user account using the ctrl alt delete to bring up the task manager.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
kbro-

I would try wannabe1's suggestion and download the programs you need from another machine, then transfer them to your computer via USB flash drive. Beyond that, we can't help you here; the staff over at the Malware Removal Forums can help you. :)

impala1

impala1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Have you tried installing Malware bytes in safe mode under your administrator account? I have done this step quite a few times on cpu's that I've worked on in the past.

kbro

kbro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the feedback. I will try the suggestions when I can get access to another computer. Many thanks again.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Impala1,

I know you're trying to help, but in this forum we'll only help kbro figure out how to get Malwarebytes downloaded. If he's having difficulty running it after that, he needs to get help in our malware forum - only our trained malware helpers can give any removal advice.