Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window 7 same icons

• Please log in to reply

chalao

chalao

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi i need help with my window 7. it this happen 4 times already the icons keep on turning into the same icon and than goes that icon only now the other 3 times i deleted the programs and got my icons to return, but now my icons are all internet explorer. I don't know what to do now if you know how to change them back plz help me.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Change the theme back to the default Windows theme and see if that fixes it.

chalao

chalao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ill try

chalao

chalao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
well if u mean the background i try 2 change it back 2 default but it was already default. Also i try changing destop icons to default but nothing as well.

chalao

chalao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok i made a breakthrough..... my only other option is to right click my icons/programs and click open with and than choose the program that i want to open. Still i want to know how to get rid of this completely..

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Change the whole theme back to default.

chalao

chalao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
i did i did what you told me to and i changed everything to default nothing i even scan my cp for viruses and spyware nothing.

chalao

chalao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ok about the discovery i just found out. if i do open with and than change it to notepad all my other programs changes to it as well, so basically im back to square one.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Sounds like your file associations are all messed up then.

Go here to download a reg file to restore your default extensions. First, click on the ERUNT link in my signature and backup your registry before you attempt to run it just in case something breaks.

chalao

chalao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ok thanks ill try

Advertisements

chalao

chalao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
umm which one am i suppose 2 install? cause theirs alot of them and i don't know which one to install

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Hmm, I didnt realize they are all individual. Let me ask you this, when did this issue start to occur? It may be easier to do a system restore instead.

chalao

chalao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
well i don't really know when it just starts randomly. the lastest one occur like 3days ago

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try restoring to a previous time, start with say a week ago and see what happens.

chalao

chalao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
well umm can u tell step by step how to restore it to last week?