Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Center Receiver Issues

• Please log in to reply

Mitza24

Mitza24

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Have been using the Media Center to watch tv via Comcast on our computer. We were having some issues where the Media Center was producing a continual pop up (Media Center Receiver Service has encountered a problem and needs to close). So I went under Services and disabled the Media Center Receiver. This stopped the pop ups but when I enable them, it says that the TV tuner is not connected properly. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks!

Ann

Advertisements

Mitza24

Mitza24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Can someone please help me with this??? I have posted on this a few times within the last year and no one seems to respond.

Thanks!

Ann

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
This is typically caused when another piece of software tries to access the tuner card while it's being used by media center. When you start Media Center, a process called ehrecvr.exe monopolizes the card. If anything else attempts to access the card, it goes bonkers :)

Anyway, did you install any software recently that may be trying to use the tuner card or any codecs? I have seen different versions of Roxio, Ulead, etc cause this problem.

Also, can you navigate to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Find the most recent error relating to Media Center and copy and paste it's contents here.

Mitza24

Mitza24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Sorry took me a while to respond. I looked under there and there was nothing listed. When I went into Services and enabled the Media Center Receiver Service, it just says there is an error with the program and needs to close. When I go to watch tv on it via Comcast that we have hooked up, I pick the show I want from the guide and it says that the tv tuner is not connected properly.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Are you able to play a DVD within Media Center? If I remember correctly, disabling that service should keep you from watching live TV, is that correct? Are you running MCE Rollup 2?

Also, the next time you receive that error message, can you click the button in the dialog box that says "To see what this error report contains click here", copy and paste the report into a text file and attach it to your post.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 13 May 2010 - 10:33 AM.

Mitza24

Mitza24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The problem is it doesn't come up with an error like that where you can see the error report. It just says that when I open the media center to watch tv and the Media Center program tells me that the files needed to watch tv are not running/installed properly. I don't know what MCE Rollup 2 is.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

that when I open the media center to watch tv and the Media Center program tells me that the files needed to watch tv are not running/installed properly. I don't know what MCE Rollup 2 is.

Can you provide me with the exact error message, or a screen shot of the message?

Rollup 2 is the latest version of Media Center. Chances is it's already installed, but let's check just to be sure. Go to Start -> Run and type "appwiz.cpl" without the quotes and then press Enter. Put a check mark in the box at the top of the window that says "Show Updates".

Scroll down to the section entitled "Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005" and look for a line that says "Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005"

Mitza24

Mitza24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok finally have time to look at this and fix it. I typed in the command and the only thing that comes up is Windows XP Service Pack 3

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
You should have MCE Rollup 2 installed and it's odd that it isn't. Try going directly to Microsoft's update site and run through the process to download and install all your updates. Keep an eye out for Rollup 2 when you are doing the updates.

Mitza24

Mitza24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have all the updates up to date. So not sure why its not there