Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TFT monitor speakers - how do they work?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Do switched on TFT monitors having speakers connected via a audio cable need to be also connected with a VGA cable?

I have connected up a monitor to an audio source (computer and a ghetto blaster) but no VGA cable. The monitor speakers begin to sound out perfectly but then go dead after about 5/10 seconds.

I would have thought the speakers are just like ordinary stand alone external speakers (powered or not) and should work. Plugging in headphones into my computer work OK so why not the monitor speakers?

Can anyone explain what the difference could be please?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if the monitor doesn't detect a video signal in a set period of time it goes to sleep to conserve power and prolong the screen life. i would imagine that one of these with the speakers built in just shuts the whole monitor down speakers and all instead of having to just turn off the LCD and leave the speakers on

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Go into the menu of your TFT monitor to see if you have any settings (on/off) for your monitor integrated speakers.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
dsenette - yes your explanation seems to cover it - I didn't think of that - thanks.

Alzeimer - my monitor is very quiet even with all computer audio volumes turned up to max ( that's why I was checking it with my ghetto blaster) and your suggestion to check the monitor volume control in the monitor menu is good but that is not an option in the menu on mine unfortunately.

Thanks for your help.

plus2plus

plus2plus

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Go into the menu of your TFT monitor to see if you have any settings (on/off) for your monitor integrated speakers.

I too prefer this suggestion.