Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Undetectable Virus as a possibility

• Please log in to reply

Rionaxa

Rionaxa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer freezes but my mouse still moves, but when it clicks on something nothing happens, and ctrl+alt+delete doesn't work either. I did scans with Malwarebytes and AVG in normal and safe mode (before coming to this website and posting in another thread), but they came up clean. I am not sure if it is a undetectable virus, or hardware issues. I have also tried uninstalling the last thing I updated/installed, stopped Steam from starting automatically after start-up, cleared the dust off the fan, it ran faster but still froze. It doesn't happen on startup, just when I am on firefox watching youtube videos.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Rionaxa, 08 May 2010 - 12:40 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Do as much of

http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

as you can. If a step won't work, skip to the next one. Copy and paste your gmer, mbam, otl, & extras logs into a reply. Do not attach them.

If you lose internet access after running MBAM or if you are not able to get to the downloads:

In IE, Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, then uncheck all boxes and OK. Close IE and restart IE.

In FireFox, Tools, Options, Advanced, Settings, check No Proxy then OK. Close Firefox and restart Firefox.

In Chrome, Wrench, Options, Under the Hood, Change Proxy Settings, uncheck all boxes, OK.

It might just be a temperature problem.

Get SIW

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/siw.html

Run it and under Hardware look for Sensors. Click on Sensors and look in the right pane there should be some temperature readings. What are they? Watch your video for a little bit then look again. Are the temps going up?

Ron

Rionaxa

Rionaxa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Rkinner,
I have run SIW and the temperature from the start to when it goes up ranges from....

SMSC DME1737 - Internal - Value: 36 Celsius(96 Fahrenheit) to 41 degrees Celsius(105 Fahrenheit)
Min: 36 Celsius(96 Fahrenheit) to 39 degrees Celsius(102 Fahrenheit)
Max: 37 Celsius(98 Fahrenheit) to 41 degrees Celsius(105 Fahrenheit)

Diode 2 - Value: 63 Celsius(145 Fahrenheit) to 69 Celsius(156 Fahrenheit)
Min: 62 Celsius(143 Fahrenheit) to 65 Celsius(148 Fahrenheit)
Max: 70 Celsius(157 Fahrenheit) to 75 Celsius(166 Fahrenheit)

Maxlor 6L300S0 - Assembly - Value: 35 Celsius(94 Fahrenheit) to 41 Celsius(105 Fahrenheit)
Min: 34 Celsius(93 Fahrenheit) to 39 Celsius(102 Fahrenheit)
Max: 35 Celsius(94 Fahrenheit) to 41 Celsius(105 Fahrenheit)
When watching YouTube videos.

I am on step 2 on the "Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide" (running scan with AVG)
If problem persist I will move on to the other steps and post the logs.