Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IPOD alternative

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
So I need something a little bigger than my iPod classic (120GB) and am fed up of itunes. I have a lot of raw mp3 files on my computer and due to using two computers regularly it would be much easier to just copy and paste them over the the mp3 player as if it were a removable HDD, this way I can store all my music files on a removable hard drive and not have to worry about setting up twos eperate itunes libraries. I remember my brother had one just like this some 5 years ago, called iRiver if I recall correctly. Do any of the current iPod alternatives do this? With suitable capacity?

So basically I want an mp3 player with at least 120GB capacity which acts like a removable HDD when plugged into the computer. This would also save me carrying around a memory stick as I am never without my iPod.

On a side note, are there any cellphones available with this kind of storage? This would be even better!

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I honestly did not know that you could get an iPod with 120GB storage. The last time my MP3 player acted up on a roadtrip, I just plugged my laptop into the port on the stereo and jammed. You can use most cameras and MP3 players as storage devices like flash drives or external hard drives. My daughter's phone has more space for storage than my MP3 player, so I'm sure you can find what you are looking for. Are iTunes only able to be played on proprietary hardware? Is there a way to convert them to plain old MP3s? I don't know. I'll be following this thread in hopes of finding out.
Johanna

Edited by Johanna, 04 May 2010 - 09:23 AM.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
All my music in my itunes library is taken from my 'Music' folder in Windows, filled with mp3 files. the problem is, when i put all my mp3 files onto a removable hdd i will ahve to completely re set up itunes, which would then not work properly as fed by a removable source. so it would been much easier to simply bypass the whole itunes or windows media player middleman alltogether

Tripcode

Tripcode

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
If you want I can tell you how to get songs from your iPod onto your PC..

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Music is already on the computer buddy :) but thanks

Tripcode

Tripcode

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Music is already on the computer buddy :) but thanks

Onto any PC***

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Basically what I want is an MP3 player with a decent memory (minimum 120GB) that acts like a removable hard drive when plugged into a computer. As in, it opens as a drive and I can drag and drop files onto it as you would with a flash drive. I want to bypass any software needed to load music onto it.

All I can think of is Zune? But have no idea how these work

Tripcode

Tripcode

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
There are applications you can get for the iPod/iPhone touch that allow you to partition a certain amount of the storage space into whatever you want it to be (flash drive.)

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

There are applications you can get for the iPod/iPhone touch that allow you to partition a certain amount of the storage space into whatever you want it to be (flash drive.)

But I wouldn't then be able to play that music put on the partition, would I?

Tripcode

Tripcode

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

But I wouldn't then be able to play that music put on the partition, would I?

iPod is as below.

iPod drivers|iPod Videos|iPod Music|iPod Photos|iPod Apps|????????Leftover space??????????|

You can partition that left over space into a fake drive

so;

iPod drivers|iPod Videos|iPod Music|iPod Photos|iPod Apps|Leftover space|????selected partition????|

Anything that goes in there is easily accessible from 'My Computer'

Advertisements

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
i want music on my ipod that i can can play through the ipod

Tripcode

Tripcode

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Isn't that the sole purpose of an iPod?

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Isn't that the sole purpose of an iPod?

yes it is

Tripcode

Tripcode

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Problem Solved.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Problem Solved.

If you read original post and other replies you will see that you are incorrect :)

I want an mp3 player/a way to modify my ipod so that i don't need itunes and can just dra and drop music over to it as you would a removable hdd/memory stick/flash drive or whatever.