Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IPOD alternative

• Please log in to reply

Tripcode

Tripcode

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
>iPod

>Plays music from the iPod

>Get application which allows you to drag and drop whatever you like as you would a removable hdd/memory stick/flash drive or whatever

Advertisements

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

>iPod

>Get application which allows you to drag and drop whatever you like as you would a removable hdd/memory stick/flash drive or whatever

That's what I'm asking for genuis.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
easy, get any MP3 player that's not made by apple

creative makes my favorite media players (i've got a zen vision M). a lot of people really like the zune (i have no experience but i know a lot of people do). basically anything that's not an ipod should be better than an ipod

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

creative makes my favorite media players (i've got a zen vision M). a lot of people really like the zune (i have no experience but i know a lot of people do). basically anything that's not an ipod should be better than an ipod

Well yeah that figues, but doesn't the zune require WMP/some other sort of software?

I had the first Zen a verry long time ago, and I remember some sort of software required with it, how does it work now?

I don't really care what it is as long as it has the capacity, it's not too chunky in my pocket and transfers directly via windows explorer or some sort of uploader that doesn't require a library being made

Edited by tiroshii, 11 May 2010 - 07:20 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well my zen vision M (which is only a 30gigger but it's like 5+ years old) can either use the creative software or you can just drag and drop, either works fine

i THINK you can just drag and drop with the zune (i can't say that for a 100% fact as i don't have one)....either way, WMP is still a better alternative to iTunes.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

well my zen vision M (which is only a 30gigger but it's like 5+ years old) can either use the creative software or you can just drag and drop, either works fine

i THINK you can just drag and drop with the zune (i can't say that for a 100% fact as i don't have one)....either way, WMP is still a better alternative to iTunes.

I much prefer iTunes to WMP but I don't play music off my computer, that's what caused the problem - I don't have the space on my PC to store music so I keep it all on a removable HDD which plays havvok with iTunes. If I can drag it straight off the removable HDD onto a player that would be ideal.

I didn't realise that the Zen/Zune could do this - I must have been wrongly informed. WIll look into this, thanks a lot.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as far as i know all current revisions of the zen allow for drag and drop. even if you use the creative software, it has no problems with storing the music on an external drive, that's where all 200 gigs of my music lives.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
The largest Creative do is 64GB and it's £250!! :)

Edited by tiroshii, 11 May 2010 - 07:39 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....64 gb of music and videos will take quite a while to listen to

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

well....64 gb of music and videos will take quite a while to listen to

As you said yourself, you have 200GB :)

£250 would be majorly overpriced for a 200GB player in my eyes seeing as a 120GB iPod is around £100 :)

EDIT: Just found this http://tech-buzz.net...od-with-retune/

Seems to be a few others I could try also, which I will do when I get home from work.

Edited by tiroshii, 11 May 2010 - 08:33 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah, i've got 200 gb of music on my external drive, i only keep about 10 of that on my player at any one time. and even then i've rarely gone from one end of the player to the other hehe

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

yeah, i've got 200 gb of music on my external drive, i only keep about 10 of that on my player at any one time. and even then i've rarely gone from one end of the player to the other hehe

my taste is massive - from dubstep to folk and classical and I change my mind every 5 seconds. Granted I may not listen to my whole 120GB but I listen to a lot of it. I can't eb chopping and changing the whole time to be completely honest, once it's there I just want it to stay there.

Will try the software I found and see if it does what I want, if so it'll save me some money :)

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Creative is basically a flash drive. This is what I have.

Attached Thumbnails

• 36782.jpg.png

Tripcode

Tripcode

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

>iPod

That's what I'm asking for genuis.

You really aren't helping yourself here....

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

All my music in my itunes library is taken from my 'Music' folder in Windows, filled with mp3 files. the problem is, when i put all my mp3 files onto a removable hdd i will ahve to completely re set up itunes, which would then not work properly as fed by a removable source. so it would been much easier to simply bypass the whole itunes or windows media player middleman alltogether

Is the reason that you want to abandon iTunes? If so, there are very easy solutions to storing iTunes media on an external source and transferring your library is a piece of cake. Let me know and I'll be more than happy to walk you through the process.

I personally have my entire media library, along with the actual .itl library file on my NAS. I can sync my iPhones, iPad and iPod Touch from any machine in the house, without a problem. All the content used to be on my HDD, but I started to run out of space so I had to move to something larger.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 13 May 2010 - 11:01 AM.