Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 2000 crashes on opening

• Please log in to reply

pkebely

pkebely

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Windows XP Office 2000 Professionl

I had a virus and took my computer in to the computer store and when I got it back Word 97 no longer worked. Nothing would open and Techie that worked on my computer said "not my fault" ... so I uninstalled Office 97 and installed Office 2000 Professional. Same problem. All other programs work (Power Point, Excel). When I click on Word it opens and then immediately shuts down.

I have tried registry cleaner, I don't have winfax (no wfword2k.dot file in my office start up folder) I have deleted all of the normal.dot files. Any ideas what else i can try ??

When I click on "error details" on the "Windows has encountered an problem and needs to close window" It reflects this at the top if this helps:

APPName: winword.exe APPver: 9.0.0.3822 ModName: MSO9.dll Modver: 9.0.0.3821 Offset: 00081c2a

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Firstly - Welcome to Geeks
Hope you do mind me telling you BUT registry cleaners are 99% of the time, unrequired, and frequently
dangerous to the health of your computer.
My first advice is ESTABLISH a restore point.
Secondly uninstall the registry cleaner.
May I presume that you uninstalled Office 97 by Add/Remove programmes or the automatic replacement when you installed Office 2000.
Do you by any chance have Norton, it is known for affecting Word with a Plug-in.
Run this please - that is Full Safety Scan.

http://onecare.live....-Us/default.htm
Please choose COMPLETE SCAN it will take sometime.

If the problem still exists run this please

http://fixitcenter.s...soft.com/Portal

Please follow this advice in the order provided.

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I believe I would use the Microsoft Office Removal tool to remove the existing software and any remnants from other office installs which may be hindering how office is functioning, and start over from scratch. It is found here: http://office.micros...1401771033.aspx

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I had a virus and took my computer in to the computer store and when I got it back Word 97 no longer worked. Nothing would open and Techie that worked on my computer said "not my fault"

This sounds like your infection issue may be still present due to the lack of care from the tech.
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

pkebely

pkebely

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am sorry, in an effort to save everyone's time I neglected a few main points. I upgraded from office 97 to Office 2000 and kept getting a stupid error message everytime I went to save. It still allowed me to save and worked fine, it just had a messgae about a missing .dll . Several months later I got a virus. The virus completely shut my computer down. I told the Tech about the .dll error message when I took the computer in to have the virus removed. The Tech asked for my Office disks to reinstall office but I couldn't find my Office 2000 disks, I did come up with my office 97 disk so the Tech installed Office 97 and installed Norton. Word didn't work right after I got it back from the Tech and he decided it wasn't his problem. So found my Office 2000 disks and I Uninstalled Office 97 and installed Office 2000. This didn't change the problem. The problem is that Word opens and immediately gives me a "must close" error message. All of my other programs work perfectly. My only issue is with Word in the Office 2000 Professional Suite.

I did uninstall the Free Registry Cleaning software.

Windows Live came up clean

If after hearing the whole story you still think I should head over to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum, I will happily head on over ....

Thanks for help .

Edited by pkebely, 05 May 2010 - 08:18 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try this first

http://fixitcenter.s...soft.com/Portal

If that does not work DO THIS

Create a New Normal.dot File
Follow these steps to temporarily rename the Normal.dot template to determine if it is the cause of the problem:

Close all programs.
Click Start, and then click Search.
Click All files and folders.
In the All or part of the file name box, type Normal.dot.
In the Look In box, click My Computer.
Click Search Now.
For each instance of Normal.dot, right-click the file, click Rename, and then type OldNormal.dot.
Close Search Results, and then start Word.
If Word starts without the error message, the cause of the problem was a corrupted Normal.dot. When Word starts, Word creates a new Normal.dot to replace the renamed file. If you customized your old Normal.dot, you must re-do all the modifications to restore your favorite options.

pkebely

pkebely

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Microsoft fixcenter support doesn't have much for Office 2000, most of their support is for Office 2002 and more recent. There wasn't anything that match my issue ... I am waiting for a reply from their techie.

Search did not produce any "Normal.dot"

Thank you for the help.

Edited by pkebely, 06 May 2010 - 09:59 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Am I not correct in thinking that the Office 2000 installation CD`s have on the first CD a repair installation facility.
If so I suggest you try that.
If there are NO normal dot files then that is the problem.
Did you include hidden files in the search.
OR perhaps it is beacuse you deleted them.
Alternatively reinstall Office.