Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply

baw2m

baw2m

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I am using Windows XP Professional. A few weeks ago my Windows Explorer started moving very slowly. Most times it takes 10-20 seconds every time I try to navigate to a new folder in Windows Explorer. There are times (maybe 10% of the time) when it reverts to normal and there is no sluggishness, but I have not been able to figure out a pattern. I do not think I installed anything new when the slowness started.

Anyone know what's going on and how to fix it? I am happy to provide any more necessary info.

Thanks very much!

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Please download process explorer from my signature, take a screenshot, and paste it in your next post.

baw2m

baw2m

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Screenshot attached, thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Seems like Firefox is the only culprit here. Your System Idle process is at 72%, which is your system resources not being used, is not really unusual. Can you please click the graphs in the top right corner, bring that up, and post a screenshot of that as well.

baw2m

baw2m

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I am navigating w/ Windows Explorer, Windows Explorer does go as high as 50+ in the CPU column. Chart attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• graphs.JPG

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I would recommend increasing your pagefile. It should be 1 and a half times the amount of physical RAM in your machine.

Judging by your processes, I/O data and PF usage, I would recommend you first click the link for PC Maitenence in my signature to do a little housecleaning to start things off.

Please follow up once you have completed that.

baw2m

baw2m

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok I increased the paging file and did the maintenance as suggested. Please let me know what to do next. Thanks!